I've been wanting to add this assignment for some time
now. I let it lapse last year, but I think now is the time to resurrect it. I hope you like it.
This is the deal: We read so much, and so many times we read
something that we like, some quote that's catchy, or that makes us laugh, or smile, or
think, or frown, or cry, or want to share it with someone we know will
appreciate it. The problem usually is that by the time we see that
person, we forget about the beautiful language or interesting thought that we wanted to
remember. Anyway, that's where the "Turn a Phrase" blog comes
in handy.
Your task is to leave us a morsel each week from something that
you've read that has some sort of appeal to you. Something that evokes a
feeling, whatever that may be. So, read, read, read, and when you come
across a quote (which you inevitably will), blog. Tell us what you
think about your quote, why you chose it, where you found it, and what it means to you. And feel free to comment on someone else's quote if you wish.
I've left the first comment, and now . . . it's your turn :)

"Do the arts make us happier, or more sensitive and therefore more unhappy?" Wm. Butler Yeats
ReplyDeleteThis is a favorite quote of mine. It sprang into my head again yesterday when we were talking about your 1984 essential questions. I think there was one about whether it's better to be 'blissfully ignorant' or 'aware and tortured.' This is a quote that always makes me think. And at different points in my life, I've had different feelings about it. The cool part is, if you read the essay that's linked, you'll see Yeats' answer. Pretty interesting to someone like me!
http://www.readcentral.com/chapters/William-Butler-Yeats/Reveries-over-Childhood-and-Youth/027
"Why should the fruit be held inferior to the flower?"-Winston page 181 of 1984, George Orwell
ReplyDeleteWhen Winston says this line he was looking at the rather large women singing outside his window. As he looked at her he thought that he was beautiful. I like this quote so much because he is basically saying that just because she isn't necessarily societies standard of beauty, she is still one of the most beautiful people Winston has ever seen. Why should she be looked down upon because she isn't skinny? Why should the fruit be held inferior to the flower?
"You people with hearts", he said, "have something to guide you, and need never do wrong; but I have no heart, and I must be very careful. When Oz gives me a heart of course I needn't mind so much". - Tin Woodman from the Wizard of Oz by: L. Frank Baum page 45
ReplyDeleteI like this quote because it shows that if you trust your heart, then you will always make the right choice in the long run. If you have a reason to trust your heart, go for it. Don't let anyone tell you differently. Since the Tin Woodman had no heart, he cannot be sure if he is making the right decisions. If you have a heart, people will always have your back if you have thiers and they will have your back if they follow their hearts, too.
"Watch and pray, dear, never get tired of trying, and never think it is impossible to conquer your faults." -Marmee March, from Louisa May Alcott's Little Women
ReplyDeleteThis is a quote from my favorite book in the whole world, which is pretty amazing because I have read a very many books. This quote is particularly special because it was said by Marmee right after Jo almost kills Amy in a skating accident (you'll have to read to find out!). It is not her fault, of course, but Jo feels terribly guilty for her rash acts and wishes to repent. The true beauty in this quote is the calmness, insight, and empathy that Marmee displays when soothing Jo's roiling feelings after this terrible tragedy, and instead of freaking out like most parents would do, Marmee keeps her composure and manages to relay the one of the most moving and beautiful quotes I have ever heard out of a parental mouth.
"We accept the love we think we deserve" - Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
ReplyDeleteWhen i read this book last month, I fell in love with reading all over again. It brought me on an emotional roller coaster making me happy, sad, excited, disappointed, and scared. You see, Charlie (the main character) just asked his favorite teacher why do some stay in unhealthy relationships? Why do some reject those who love them? And that was his response. It may not be the deepest quote out there, but I find it very moving, yet also unsettling. Why do we accept the love we think we deserve? Why can't we just find someone who make us happy, and only that? It's amazing how a small sentence can bring up such questions, how we question who we are, who we are with, and if we are truly happy.
"The novel demonstrates how form itself is a kind of magic lantern, a shifting lens for magnifying and viewing multiple perspectives of reality." - The Grapes of Wrath, Robert DeMott.
ReplyDeleteThis quote is a praise for the way that John Steinbeck wrote The Grapes of Wrath. Steinbeck writes the novel by alternating between two different styles: one being a short lyrical chapter that focuses on the migrants as a group and the other a long narrative chapter that concerns the Joad's (the main family) flee to California. I feel that this quote shows just how much power a writer has. I also feel that this quote exemplifies that two writers writing the exact same thing (but using two different, distinct writing forms) can portray different messages. A quote like this is one of the few ways that gives a writer the respect they deserve for their word choice.
"It's a lot easier to be lost than found. It's the reason we're always searching and rarely discovered--so many locks not enough keys." - Lock and Key, Sarah Dessen
ReplyDeleteSarah Dessen has been one of my favorite authors since I was in 7th or 8th grade. I've read almost every book she's published and Lock and Key happened to be one of my favorites. This quote makes me open up and realize how many people in the world are lost, and who maybe need help, but don't have enough courage to ask for it. If people were more aware of their surroundings, maybe they would realize who needs a little boost and reassurance to get back on track and continue on. So many kids in high school put on a fake smile and walk through the halls like they're okay, but really under the skin, their head is spinning around inside. The simple cure to dig a little deeper and really understand someone is just genuinely caring. I feel like this quote is Sarah Dessen's way of saying that more people and/or things can be figured out if you put in a just a little more effort or just care a little bit more.
“It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.” Patrick Rothfuss
ReplyDeletePatrick Rothfuss, is the author of my favorite series, "The King Killer Chronicles." I came across this quote while reading "The Name of the Wind." and when considering it, it made perfect sense. We build a story out of our lives, we look at ourselves with a sort of perspective in bias that we later portray to be who we are. It influences everything our pride, our friendliness, our happiness. We are who we choose to be because of the different shades we see our lives, so we determine the best way to adapt to that perspective and we become that ideal in the real world. It is both positive and negative.
"In the space between yes and no, there's a lifetime. It's the difference between the path you walk and one you leave behind; it's the gap between who you thought you could be and who you really are; it's the legroom for the lies you'll tell yourself in the future." -Change of Heart, Jodi Picoult
ReplyDeleteThis quote really stands out to me because when you think about it yes and no are just small over-used words from the English language. But really, they have huge meaning and huge difference. They are the words that lead you to everything in your life, whether you its deciding from what to eat for breakfast, or something as important as doing drugs. I think it's really important to recognize this so that you don't take your choices for-granted.
I LOVE this one, Kathleen. I was just talking about this very thing with someone this weekend . . . about the difficulty of saying 'yes' to life. Cool. Thanks :)
Delete"Keep smiling, because life is a beautiful thing and there's so much to smile about."-Marilyn Monroe. This quote is probably one of my favorites and so true because life gives you so many things to be happy about. If you go through life being a pessimist not being happy, there's no way you'll ever find a happy medium or your serenity. Life is a blessing and if you're always hanging on to the past or worrying about the future, your life will slip away so fast and before you know it you'll be on your death bed wishing you just enjoyed life.
ReplyDelete"You can't stop the future, you can't rewind the past.
ReplyDeleteThe only way to learn the secret...is to press play." -Thirteen Reasons Why by: Jay Asher
I really like this quote because it's a very inspiring and true quote. It means that you shouldn't try and change the pass or be upset over it. You should just carry on and only worry about what is happening now. You can't rewind anything or stop what you are doing now. I believe in this quote so much. I think everyone should follow this quote and learn to let the past go instead of holding on to something you can't change. The only way to keep going is to press play and just go with the flow.
"What is history, but a fable agreed upon? By its very nature, history is always a one sided account." -The Da Vinci Code (page 256)
ReplyDeleteI really like this quote because it pertains to one of my favorite school subjects (history), and can also be applied to real life. Everything you hear, learn, and understand always has different sides, like two halves of a coin. There is always a bias and another point of view. The truth of things aren't always what they seem, until you look at them without a bias. In life there isn't just one true statement, there are many truths that make up one. There are always different sides to the same story.
“Like most misery, it started with apparent happiness.”
ReplyDelete- Markus Zusak, The Book Thief
While reading The Book Thief I came across this line and it made me think. On the surface, it seems like all misery comes from the accumulation of mistakes or a life of distress. However, Zusak makes a good point by saying the misery begins with happiness or at least supposed happiness. I guess this is saying that when people are happy or satisfied, they tend to lose their sense of caution. Also, when people are happy they may not always think of the consequences of their actions, and if they aren’t careful, one mistake could lead to misery.
"...you might never love someone as hard as you had the first time you'd fallen...... the same way you stand beneath a perfect blue sky on the most glorious day of the summer and admit to yourself that all moments from here on in couldn't possibly measure up." Change of Heart, Jodi Picoult
ReplyDeleteTo me this quote means a lot. I think that this says that you have to live life to the fullest. There can be many surprises in your life that are unexpected, like having your first love. Those are the memories that stick with you for your entire life. I believe that if you do things right the first time and really put your whole heart into what your doing and enjoy your life you will be happy and and regret nothing. Things and people may come and go in your life but only the things and people that mean the most to you will be there in the end, so choose what you want in life wisely.
"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it?—every, every minute?" from the play "Our Town", Thornton Wilder
ReplyDeleteThis quote is very near and dear to me. It's not from a book, but instead from a play. I said this line in the role of Emily Webb in this production back when I was in eighth grade. My director made me say this line a million times over until I understood the meaning of it; and believe or not it didn't hit me until opening night. The quote is saying that people walk through life just trying to survive day by day, but no one every realizes that they are living the only life that they have - that they are vulnerable and valuable. People lack the sense of wonder and adventure that passes their eyes everyday, and many people take that for granted and slips away. I just love this quote and it is very near and dear to my heart.
The mind is like an iceberg, it floats with one-seventh of its bulk above water. -Sigmund Freud
ReplyDeleteMy mother came across this quote a while back when she was reading an article. She showed it to me and it really effected me emotionally. When she showed me this I instantly thought about my grandmother (her mother) who is extremely ill with Alzheimer's. My grandmother is physically here but mentally and emotionally gone. Her mind is very much like an iceberg, she has so much to say but she can't gather her thoughts and let them out, which is the part that is underwater. She is also keeping her head "above the water" by making the best out of everyday she can. Even though she really has no idea what is going on, she still manages to keep a smile on her face. This quote is very important to me because my mother and I had an instant connection with it and the same person came to our mind while reading it.
“When you’re pregnant, you can think of nothing but having your own body body to yourself again; yet after giving birth you realize that the biggest part of you is now external, subject to all sorts of danger and disappearance, so you spend the rest of your life trying to figure out how to keep her close enough for comfort.” Vanishing Acts, Jodi Piccoult
ReplyDeleteI think that this quote explains so much. Especially during the teenage years we expect to be given a lot more responsibilities and freedom, but that is usually the opposite of what our parent want. All teenagers want is to have new freedoms and be able to do what they want to do, but our parents slowly and steadily give us more freedoms but with caution. I chose this quote because I think that it perfectly explains the thought process of our parents. I found this quote in my SSR book, Vanishing Acts by Jodi Piccoult.
"Nobody wants to admit this, but bad things will keep on happening. Maybe that’s because it’s all a chain, and a long time ago someone did the first bad thing, and that led someone else to do another bad thing, and so on. You know, like that game where you whisper a sentence into someones’ ear, and that person whispers it to someone else, and it all comes out wrong in the end. But then again, maybe bad things happen because it’s the only way we can keep remembering what good is supposed to look like."
ReplyDeleteThis quote is from Jodi Picoult's novel, The Pact. She's one of my favorite authors and the things that she writes about everyone can make a meaningful connection, especially with a statement like this. For me this really means that even if everything has been bad it will always get better, because it's also a part of the cycle; even though sometimes nothing goes you way. But, even though you might be treated bad sometimes and it might be tempting to treat others that way, you have to remember that everyone is fighting their own battles that might be worse than your own.
“When you’re quilting, one missed stitch ruins the whole bunch…you pull on it, and they all unravel.”
ReplyDelete- Plain Truth, Jodi Picoult (my SSR book)
This quote really stood out to me because I liked the metaphorical aspect of it. It’s true that making a mistake during quilting may ruin the entire work – but the meaning of the quote is more in depth. It really means that just one small transgression can affect everything else in your life. I truly believe that some decisions can have lasting effects on your life and on the lives of the people around you. You can decide to do something that seems unimportant as first, such as talking back to your parents, leaving you punished for a few weeks, and leaving your parents disappointed in you. It can also be something that’s more serious; perhaps you’ve made the decision to do drugs. One of your bad decisions led to another and now, you’ve dug yourself a hole that’s too deep to get out of. Metaphorically, you’re actually struggling to “stitch” your “unraveled” life back together; a new way to think about trying to fix sticky situations that you’ve put yourself into.
"Sometimes you have to be strong to do good, but you also have to do good to be strong. The heart and fist together are more powerful than either one alone."
ReplyDelete- The Heart and The Fist, Eric Greitens, Navy Seal
I was reading the inside cover of The Heart and The Fist and I saw this quote. This quote stood out because I loved the way it sounded. It sounds so powerful and deep. Eric was a man wanting to make a difference in the world and fight for those who couldn't fight themselves so he became a Navy Seal. Having the courage to put his life on the line to protect others is a great thing and is something you won't see today. Seeing this quote makes me feel happier, and makes me feel like I can make a difference each day in trying to make this world a better place.
“The evil that is in the world almost always come of ignorance, and good intentions may do as much harm as malevolence if they lack understanding.” –Albert Camus
ReplyDeleteI actually found this quote in the front pages of my self-select book, where the author quotes it. After reading it, I realized that I actually understand what this quote is saying. Basically, the worst things in the world don’t come from bad intentions, they come from ignorance. Somebody with absolutely no idea what they are doing is more likely to mess up than somebody with a grasp of their intentions, whether or not the intentions are good or bad. I like this quote because even the smart people who are bad never truly do as much damage as a less intelligent person.
“I will never quit. My nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down i will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my enemies and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight.”
ReplyDelete-Marcus Luttrell “Lone Survivor”
This quote is from the novel “Lone Survivor” a true story about the failed mission operation red wing where 4 navy seals where ambushed by the Taliban and 3 were killed while 1 survived. I like this quote because it shows how some men will never give up and shows their mental toughness. Hundreds have attempted to become a navy seal and failed only a certain amount of men who try succeed. Marcus Luttrell the author is trying to tell people never quit, even though it only gets harder it will be alright in the end.
"Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you remember" said by Oscar Levant, is a quote I came across while looking at a magazine. This quote made me ponder about what happiness really is and came to a realization that this sounds like a contradiction. Everything you experience becomes a memory whether it was of something good or not.
ReplyDelete“Knowing that we have to die, we ought to live to be prepared to die well.”
ReplyDelete- Andrew Johnson, from the book Presidential Courage
I think this quote is very inspirational. It gives the feeling of how people should live their life everyday. This touched me because we are learning about World War 1 and how the soldiers continued to fight even though they knew they were going to die, and it really showed how much pride and honor people can have in life. People have to live life to the fullest and die knowing that they lived their lives as honestly as true as they could. You know that you have a limited amount of time here on Earth, so why not make the best use of that small time?
Henry Seeliger
ReplyDeleteI have failed numerous times in my life and that is why I am successful"
-Michael Jordan
This quote is of one of my favorite books of all time, the Autobiography of Michael Jordan. it is something my dad and mom constantly would say to me when I would mess up so I would keep my head up. It really shows that A person who has not failed cannot possibly have success, if possibly the most successful person of all-time has admitted he has failed numerous times in his life. It really means that anyone can achieve success no matter what you have to go through and how badly you fail.
“He knew as well as we in our own world do that the road to hell is paved with good intentions--but he also knew that, for human beings, good intentions are sometimes all there are. Angels may be safe from damnation, but human beings are less fortunate things, and for them hell is always close.” - Stephen King, The Eyes of the Dragon
ReplyDeleteI found this quote near the end of my self-select book. It made me wonder if good intentions can and will be always overpowered by selfish greed and pure malice. Is the will of the good samaritan strong enough to overpower these odds and manage to achieve salvation? In my opinion, I feel like Stephen King is saying unless you're an angel of the perfect image itself, you will lose and end up in the maw of the abyss.
"If my entire life is like this, loud laughter and bold action and the kind of exhaustion you feel after a hard satisfying day, I will be content. As Uriah scrapes his tongue with his finger tips, I realize that all i have to is get through initiation, and that life will be mine."- Tris from, Veronica Roths book, Divergent.
ReplyDeleteI found this quote about half way reading through divergent and it peaked my intrest. It makes you think hard at what makes you happy in everyday life. I started to wonder, is it worth living if you don't have excitement? Or happiness? This quote makes you think that and it shows what she thinks about the question. I think what Roth is trying to get with the book is that your life would be great as long as you have work to do and happiness to keep you going
‘’People change,’’ Jordan said softly. “ But only if you give them room to do it.” Jodie Picoult, Salem Falls.
ReplyDeleteI was reading my self-select book when I found this quote. I really like and agree with what it implies. This quote is saying you cannot expect someone to change or evolve if there are automatic assumptions being made about him or her. The whole point of change is to reinvent oneself and to build a new reputation. But how could that be possible if there are constant reminders of the past and mistakes that were made. If people are not given room to change, it is unfair and unrealistic to expect anything to happen. Everyone deserves a fresh chance to start over and leave their mistakes behind them without anyone questioning it.
“Man has come to dominate the planet thanks to two essential traits. One is intelligence. The other has been the absolute willingness to kill anyone and anything that gets in his way.”
ReplyDelete~headmaster Charles Ardai, page 160 of Stephen King's Cell.
I like this quote because it is interesting to think about. Are people really ruthless killers deep down? Are we naturally selfish and murderous, but have managed to suppress our instincts though superficial laws and technology? Or is this quote completely wrong and people can distinguish the difference between right and wrong? Is that what makes us human or are we just ignorantly ignoring the fact that we are all, not only animals, but animals that are so ruthless that we have risen to the top of the food chain and asserted ourselves as omnipotent over all other creatures and naively assumed that is was our morals that led us to be the dominant species. Cole Attar
“We’re as likely to hurt the universe as we are to help it, and we’re not likely to do either.”
ReplyDelete― The Fault In Our Stars, John Green
I came across this quote in my SSR book the other day; when I read it, it caught my eye right away. This quote is saying that we are ruining the world, but trying to help it at the same time. Everyone says they're going to help, but how many people actually do? We're ruining ourselves and our world around us.
"In order to have something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done."
ReplyDeleteI came across this quote when I was in the school's weight room. I saw it on the wall and it immediately motivated me due to the pure reality of it. It made me realize that you have to work hard, and try new things, in order to accomplish things you never have before. This quote is great because it applies to all aspects of life, not just exercising. There is no doubt in my mind that everything requires dedication, and that you cannot succeed until you have put in the necessary amount of work. I believe that success is something that is earned, not something that is presented.
"“...nothing wonderful lasted forever. Joy was as fleeting as a shooting star that crossed the evening sky, ready to blink out at any moment.” -Safe Haven, Nicholas Sparks.
ReplyDeleteI really like this quote because it is true and reminds me that I have to enjoy the good things in life because they won't last. If you don't appreciate these things, than it will hurt even more when they are gone. Also, the author uses such beautiful language to explain what he means. He describes a shooting star and relates it to fleeting joy. Both could only be there for a second, but both are beautiful.
“People believed what they wanted to believe, no matter what was right in front of their eyes.”
ReplyDelete– Jodi Picoult, The Tenth Circle
I like this quote because it applies to many of us in our society today. Sometimes we may not exactly want to comprehend what is right in front of us because it hurts too much, so we disguise it with something less hurtful.
"Sometimes we find ourselves walking through our lives blindfolded, and we try to deny that we're the ones who securely tied the knot."
ReplyDeleteThis quote is from the book Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult. It is saying that during life sometimes you block out things you don't want to believe and begin denying the reality of the situation. This can easily be related to many people's lives who don't want to believe the truth. They are basically covering there eyes with a blindfold and acting like a situation never happened.
"The test don't have to change our choices" -Divergent, Caleb
ReplyDeleteCaleb told his little sister this before going off to take the Abnegation test. Although so far it is not clear what these test are about. Students can not study for it in anyway and depending on scoring will determine the rest of their lives. Where they live and their occupation. Caleb is the main characters older brother. They both know the importance of the test and how they could be split apart from each other but he cares for her so much so he tries to comfort her and explains that no matter what happens family will always be family and they will love each other no matter what happens. I realized that this relates in my life when my younger brother is scared. I try to comfort him to the best of my ability because I care about him and even though we don't get along well we both know that we would do anything for each other. I like this quote because I can relate not only the quote and feeling behind it but also the relationship that Caleb shares with his sister.
“You know how I see it? There’s always going to be bad stuff out there. But here’s the amazing thing—light trumps darkness, every time. You stick a candle into the dark, but you can’t stick the dark into the light…I guess from my point of view, we choose to be in the dark, or we can light a candle.” –Jodi Picoult, Change of Heart
ReplyDeleteThis is a quote I found in my self-select reading book, and it really stood out to me because it’s meaning is so true. There is nothing we can do about all the bad things that happen to us, but we can choose how we handle them. And if you are always trying your best to the right thing, good will always win.
"Recon Marines go through much of the same training as do Navy SEALs and Army Special Forces soldiers. They are physical prodigies who can run 12 miles loaded with 100 pound packs, then jump in the ocean and swim several more miles, still wearing their boots and fatigues, and carrying their weapons and packs. They are trained to parachute, scuba dive, snowshoe, mountain climb and rappel from helicopters. Fewer than 2 percent of all Marines who enter in the Corps are selected for Recon training."
ReplyDeleteI came across this quote in my SSR "Generation Kill" by Evan Wright. I liked this quote because it it really gives you a great perspective of how difficult the qualifications are for these elite warriors that led the front lines defending our country into Iraq. By reading this quote you can see how much commitment and perseverance these soliders must have gone through to complete the Recon training. It is reassuring to know that the people defending our country where the battles and conflicts are crucial and decisive are most definitely prepared, hardened and combat-ready.
"We see living men with their skulls blown open; we see soldiers run with their two feet cut off . . . a lance-corporal crawls a mile and a half on his hands dragging his smashed knee after him . . . we see men without mouths, without jaws, without faces . . . The sun goes down, night comes, the shells whine, life is at an end."
ReplyDeleteI read over this paragraph in an assignment for my AP World History class. We had to read a section of "All Quiet on the Western Front" by Erich Maria Remarque. I didn't like this quote, however, it struck me very deeply. They way it talks about the injuries that the soldiers had suffered and how they continue to fight, really made me terrified of the trench warfare during World War 1. It made me feel sad, even though the war has been over. I guess I feel sad because these sorts of injuries happen even during the present, with the war in Afghanistan. American soldiers and Afghani soldiers are being severely injured and I just find the thought of the gory war to be horrific.
-Alex Patricolo
“You couldn't have strength without weakness, you couldn't have light without dark, you couldn't have love without loss”-Jodi Picoult, The Tenth Circle
ReplyDeleteI like this quote a lot. I came across it while reading my self select book, The Tenth Circle. This quote made me think about a lot of things. It is all about contradicting words and how without a bad, there would be no good. This quote makes me think of the quote, “Every cloud has a silver lining.” It means you have to take the good with the bad. I think this quote is inspiring because it is relatable to everyday life and reminds me that good will come after a tragedy.
matthew lidonnici
ReplyDelete"I become faint, all at once i cannot do it any more. i won't revile any more, it is senseless, i could drop down and never rise up again"- Paul All is quiet on the western front.
I read this book over the summer and i had a vague remeberence of were they were so i quickly scanned and i found this one. It describes how the sights from the horrors of this war scarred many soldiers for the rest of their lives. Paul had been changed forever by watching his fellow men get blown to death by mortars and bombs and its is almost impossible for him to force himself to keep living.
Michael Pesce
ReplyDelete"That's just... really hard to believe."
Stephen King, Cell - Page 125
This quote basically sums up the whole book. It stands for the entire plot of the book. Everything that happens is just so hard to believe. When Alice says this in the book she could be talking about so many different things, because the whole book is based on this quote.
"Truth has become more of a privilege than a right but imagine if you had a right to the truth in all that you experience. "
ReplyDeleteI like this quote, from the Kite Runner, because it means that people can take the truth away, or hide it, thus 'stealing' it from others. It can also mean that people with more power, have more control over the truth. Take 1984 for example. In 1984, there were no laws so technically people had freedom of speech; however, in reality if you said the wrong thing you were captured and killed. This can be a metaphor to our life. We all have the freedom to express the truth, but we don't always feel comfortable or safe to speak it.
“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”
ReplyDelete― Veronica Roth
This quote is from Divergant. Veronica Roth is one of my new favorite authors. A friend reccomeneded I read this book and I believe it was a good decision. This quote connected with me for some reason or another particularlay because it is true. this quote made me start thinking of coinsidances that could be associated with this quote. This quote describes that bravery is the courage to stand up for another or cause. And when you think about it makes sense. Standing up for someone requires bravery, not everyone does this maybe beacause they do not have the courage. A quote like this one really shwos the greatness of the writer and her mind.
"Up the road, in his shack, the old man was sleeping again. He was still sleeping on his face and the boy was sitting by him watching him. The old man was dreaming about the lions."
ReplyDeleteErnest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
This quote is from one of my favorite books and from my favorite author. Though I read this book a few years ago, the last page, including this quote, the last line, still resonates in the annals of my mind. It capped off such a terrifically beautiful ending to an extraordinary book. Though out of context it may not have sounded amazing, knowing its meaning through reading the entire book would help you to feel the true weight these sentences have. They come after the old man loses everything to the sea and goes home and sleeps. The lions represent his youth. He dreams of the adventures and vigor locked in the memories of his younger days. This quote is a strong representation of the powerful poeticism used by Hemingway throughout the story.
"It seemed like forever ago, like we'd has this brief but still infinite forever. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities." - The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (My favorite author)
ReplyDeleteThis is being said in the book as the main character, Hazel, is reflecting upon her past (what seemed like much longer than it really was) before the one she loves got a recurrence of cancer. She is struggling in finally realizing that she isn't the one that will leave Gus anymore, Gus will leave her. She looks back thinking that love would last forever, but then realizes forever ends with a death. I feel this is what she means when she says some infinites are bigger than others. That forever can last a short amount of time, or a long one.
I can relate to this quote. That everything can be going to great with the one you love, and then one wrong move or mistake or involuntary action can ruin everything. Can change the way you look at someone forever, even if you do love them. Which is sad, because love should be unconditional... right?
"To serve a cause without serving persons is a dead thing. - Gandhi (from my World History Textbook)
ReplyDeleteSurprisingly, I found a meaningful quote in my global textbook today. Gandhi was a person that will go down in history forever. He was such an insightful, unique man and his way of living was unlike anyone else. He lived for the good of others and to help others. He put people before himself and did not have one selfish bone in his body. To me, this quote really displays Gandhi's view on how society should be. The reason I chose this quote is because if more people had been like him or were still like him today, our society might be different. We might not have as much suffering in the world as we do now. We wouldn't have as much war, as much death, as much anger. If Gandhi's ways spread throughout the world back when he was around, what would society be like today? Would we have all the technology we have? Would we have fought any wars? Would the United States even be here, or would we still ruled by England? Gandhi's views on the world could have change the entire world around, and this quote leaves me wondering why they didn't.
"Thinking about stuff like that don't feed the kids. Get your three dollars a day, feed your kids." - The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck
ReplyDeleteThis quote is from the driver of a tractor who is going to tear down the houses of a town who can't afford to pay the mortgage. (In fact he is going to tear down his own father's house.) When the home owner says that for his three dollars millions of people go homeless, he responds with the quote above. That quote shows me that in bad times the concept of altruism goes out the window. This quote does make a lot of sense to me, because if a person is struggling to feed his own family, he will not have the time to worry about other families.
“You don’t forget the face of the person who was your last hope.” -Hunger Games
ReplyDeleteWhen i read this it stuck out to me so much. I came across this quote in the hunger games and it inspired me a lot. I think it means that you will always remember someone who was your last chance of living or your last chance of hope. In the novel, it means that Rue and her district will never forget Katniss because she was the last chance of hope for Rue. She was the reason that Rue stayed alive so long and in many ways she kept Katniss alive also. This quote shows me that the people that help me and give me hope in life are never going to leave my mind and i am always going to think about them, and cherish them.
"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but it was impossible to say which was which." -Animal Farm, George Orwell
ReplyDeleteI read this book about 2 months ago, and loved it! George Orwell is a brilliant writer, and his first novel, Animal Farm shows that throughout the book. This is the last quote from the book and my absolute favorite from it.
In the novel, the animals looking at the pigs couldn't depict if their leaders were man or pig, simply because of their greedy/power-hungry ways. This whole novel gradually showed how greed and tyranny can change a leader, and it's really summarized into one quote. The most interesting thing though, is how much the pigs actually resembled humans in the book. It made me realize how part of human nature is selfishness, especially in past leaders. It also posed the question, are humans just the same as pigs? Also, would the world be any different or the same if the government was run by the pigs in Animal Farm (it certainly was the same for the USSR) ? It shows that human nature can be changed by greed and power-hungriness, which ultimately makes us pigs with no sense of morals, just selfishness.
"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Jodi Picoult, Change of Heart
ReplyDeleteThis may not mean the the same thing to me as it does for others. I believe that God is a leader. He helps guide you in the right direction and gives you hope throughout your life. If he didn't exist who would all these people look up to? By having God in our lives you know that you always have someone there for you. You can usually depend on your friends for advice or for help but you can guarantee that God will be there for you. He shows people right from wrong and forgives you when you make a mistake. He is willing to listen whenever you are in need. For me, God is a helping hand, someone who will be there in any kind of situation good or bad. Without God in our lives many people would lose hope and faith.
"I'll be your family now," he says. "I love you," I say." - Insurgent by Veronica Roth.
ReplyDeleteThis quote was found in the book Insurgent that I'm reading for my self select book. This was a powerful quote in the book. The boy Tobias knows that most of the main character Tris's family has died. He tells her that he will be her family. They both know that they are in love, but this is the first time that she said this to him. I thought it was beautiful how after this was said he asked her to say "I love you" again. When she did he kissed her and told her that he loves her too. She knows that someone is there for her. It's wonderful knowing that someone is there for you in life.
"Brave men have fought and died building the proud tradition and feared reputation that I am bound to uphold."
ReplyDeleteThis is a quote from a book I'm reading called "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell. This quote is a powerful representation of the unparallelled patriotism that marines share. I always sort of assumed that you would need to be patriotic to join the military, but the way that it is depicted in this book is a lot more extreme than I thought. I haven't read that much of it yet, but in the opening pages, the author gives a lot of background on he and his squadron's values and assets. They are fearless, powerful, intimidating, determined, and relentless.
"On the road to Mandalay,
ReplyDeleteWhere the flyin'-fishes play,
And the dawn comes up like thunder outer China 'crost the Bay!"
-Mandalay by Rudyard Kipling
This line is from one of my new favorite poems. "Mandalay" is a poem we read in social studies and after hearing it, I really enjoyed. It's about a british soldier who, after returning home to England, greatly misses his time in Mandalay, Burma. He yearns to return and thinks of it fondly and wishes he could return. I chose this quote because, in my opinion, it is a good representation of the soldier's love for Mandalay and how he thinks of it in his mind. It shows how he thinks about it and loves it. I also picked this quote because its very beautiful and for some reason has just stuck in my mind. I really enjoyed the poem and this quote is among my favorite lines from it.
"It is easy to kick a man that is down" is a quote I came across the other day in class while scrolling through some of Aesop's Fables. This is the moral of the the Fable "The Dogs and the Fox" which talks of some dogs finding the skin of a lion and tearing it into pieces with their teeth. A Fox then see's them and says, "If this lion were alive, you would soon find out that his claws were stronger than your teeth." It serves as a reminder that some people will relish the moment you no longer have success and take advantage of you when you're down or at your weakest point; but as soon as you start to progress, that's the moment when they'll have a more difficult time to bring you pain or prevent you from excelling because of how strong you've grown.
ReplyDelete“Someone told me much later that you always know the people who are going to make a difference in your life, from the very first time you set eyes on them, even if you do not like them at all. And I had noticed him, as he had me. God help us.” -Sarah Dunant, The Birth of Venus (my SSR book)
ReplyDeleteI picked this quote not only because this was a very good book and worthy of pulling quotes from, but because this quotes rings so true in life. Sometimes, when you meet someone for the first time, you feel that deep, ingrained connection with them, even if you've no idea of who they are. These people come back into your life, completely uninvited and ineluctable. This closely parallels the love at first sight cliche that we see in things like Romeo and Juliet, but it can be much more deep and powerful and, like the quote states, you don't have to like that person. I really really just adore this quote!
“We are so limited, you have to use the same word for loving Rosaleen as you do for loving Coke with peanuts. Isn't that a shame we don't have many more ways to say it?”
ReplyDelete- Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees
I came across this quote while reading The Secret Life of Bees. The first time I read it I realized that I had never really thought about something like that. I actually thought about this when I read 1984 and how it related to the principal of newspeak that they used in the book. While reading 1984 I thought that it was interesting how the government could actually do that to the people, limiting the amount of words in the language so no one can express their true feelings. At the time, I thought that we have so many words that we must be able to express anything we want in any way. However, remembering this quote, I now realize that we don’t have enough words, and it makes me wonder how fictional Orwell’s book really is.
"We carried out everything under the cover of darkness, waiting patiently for many hours, watching our backs, keeping our eyes on the target, firing computerized pictures back to base from virtually inside the jaws of the enemy."
ReplyDeleteThis is another quote from the book "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell. I think this quote is very interesting because it offers a very unique view on the life of a soldier. Some people, when they imagine a soldier, think of a man charging into battle with guns blazing. Some even think of men hiding behind cover and inside trenches shielding himself from artillery and grenades that are being showered around him. While both of these are accurate to an extent, this offers a different view. It mentions some other qualities that are so necessary that one might overlook in a soldier, such as patience, focus, etc.
"Religion is like language or dress. We gravitate toward the practices with which we were raised. In the end, though, we are all proclaiming the same thing. That life has meaning. That we are grateful for the power that created us."- Vittoria, page 110 ' Angels and Demons' Dan Brown
ReplyDeleteThis is a quote from the book "Angels and Demons" which frequently talks about the conflicts based off religion. I really like this quote because its true. We believe in what we were raised to believe. Weather that is Christianity, buddhism, Islam, Catholicism, or any other religion that one might believe in. So many wars have started over religion however, in the end, all religions are really the same; we are grateful for what ever might have created us.
"Children aren't coloring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colors." - Rahim Khan
ReplyDeleteWhile reading the Kite Runner, you learn that Amir is the complete opposite of his father, Baba. They share contrasting hobbies and ideas, and the reader is given many examples of the tension between the two. All Amir wants is to please his father, but nothing he does impresses Baba. Baba is very serious and only likes sports, and Amir is more into reading and writing. The only person who understands this is Rahim Khan. Baba constantly complains to Rahim about his fear that Amir will never be a "normal" kid. But what is normal? Each person has a different perception of normal (this coincides with the twilight zone episode "Eye of the Beholder"). Baba thinks normal is playing and watching sports, and Rahim's comeback to his complaint is the quote above. The quote means that children will be children, and you can't force them to follow in your footsteps. Just because you raise them doesn't mean you completely control who they turn out to be. Thus "you don't get to fill them with your favorite colors".
"The rich may be different, but are they above the law?"- Mark Mills
ReplyDeleteWhile I was reading Amagansett, by Mark Mills I came across this quote, which basically sums up the entire book. This shows that even the worst criminals may be overlooked because of their reputation and the risk of ruining it. The idea of looking past a stereotype is difficult for many, but it is not an excuse to be able to take the lives of others and get away with it because of a simple lie. Even though no one has proof of the crime committed in the story yet; the rich are still trying to cover their tracks because of fear of being judged by their peers.
"I hope you're ready, because I'm about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you're listening to these tapes, you're one of the reasons why." - Hannah Baker said this in the book, Thirteen Reasons Why by: Jay Asher
ReplyDeleteWhile I was reading the book, I found this quote. I thought this quote was interesting and a very powerful though said by the character in the book. She has killed herself and made 7 cassette tapes and sent them how to people who were the reasons why she killed herself. This quote has nothing to do with an everyday problem, I just really liked it. I think people should take the chance and listen to others stories and try to understand where they come from, instead of judging them based on appearance. Everyone is different from the outside than the inside. Some people hid a lot, just like Hannah Baker did. Most of the people on the tapes didn't realize that what they did caused her death. I think one thing to be learned out of the quote and the book is that actions have consequences.
"I don't know how to say it exactly. Only...I want to die as myself. Does that make any sense?" he asks. I shake my head. How can he die as anyone else but himself? "I don't want them to change me in there. Turn me into some kind of monster that I'm not."..."Only I keep wishing I could think of a way to...to show the Capitol they don't own me. That I'm more than just a piece in their Games"- Peeta Mellark, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins pg 141-142
ReplyDeleteRemembering this quote from last year, I thought that it really shows how society can mold our minds into thinking something that deep down, we may not truly believe. For example, Katniss and Peeta are talking on the rooftop in the Capitol, awaiting to go into the Hunger Games. Peeta is talking to her about how he wants to die as himself while Katniss thinks that it is ridiculous at first but then starts to think about it. I personally like this quote because it shows how a person can have different thoughts on a subject, and with a debate, there is no right or wrong answer. I also believe that people have a voice that deserves to be heard, no matter who they are, whether they are big or small, tall or short, boy or girl; everyone deserves a voice.
"I get up because I'm supposed to, but if it were up to me, I would stay in my seat for the rest of time. I feel like there is a bubble in my chest that expands more by the second, threatening to break me apart from the inside." Beatrice Prior, Diveregent by Veronica Roth.
ReplyDeleteI like this quote because it shows how different our world could be in the future where the people have no control and have to live the way they are told to. It shows the point of view of the person living this way and what they would do if they had a choice. It seems that they would always want to live in the world we live in today, a world where the government didn't decide your every move. In books like these it makes you very appreciative of how we live; and, to make us think about how careful we need to be with power, government, and decisions in the future.
“Just because you keep something a secret doesn't mean it never happened, no matter how much you want that to be true.” Jodi Picoult, Vanishing Acts
ReplyDeleteI liked this quote a lot because it relates to many people's lives and is very true. After you do something you can't reverse it and say it never happened. This quote is saying that you have to live with what you do. You can not put it off and pretend it did not happen. Your actions are chosen by you and only you.
“What is the point of not doing something? Don’t eat beef, feel good about saving cows. Boycott Burma, feel good about not going. But what good have you really done? Whom have you saved?” Dwight Massey, Saving Fish From Drowning.
ReplyDeleteThis quote is Dwight talking about how not going to Burma just to honor a boycott gets about as much done as boycotting meat (not a lot). I like this quote because I think that he has a nice sarcastic tone in his response, but also makes a good point in his argument. Trying to fix your problems by “not doing something” accomplishes nothing; the only way to solve problems is by taking action, and doing something.
"Every morning, until you dead in the ground, you gone have to make the decision. You gone have to ask yourself, Am I gone believe what them fools say about me today?
ReplyDelete- Constantine, The Help
I came across this quote when I read The Help a little over a year ago. I loved the character Constantine. She epitomized the character of the old role model you want to be able to go to for advice as a child. This quote really made me stop and think when I was reading. The only way for people to get to us is when we let them. If we don’t listen to what other people say about us they can’t hurt us, and they will be the fool. There are countless amounts of people who are great and they are led to think otherwise because they let some people, who for some reason find themselves better than the rest, put them down. If you don’t listen to these people they have no power over you. At all.
“Whom shall I send and who will go for us?” Then I said, “Here am I. Send me”
ReplyDelete-Isaiah 6:8
This is a passage from the book of Isaiah, chapter 6, verse 8. This passage was used in the book Chosen Soldier. The author Dick Couch a retired Navy Seal who chose to write this book on the Green Berets training. I chose this quote because it shows that the military is a choice and our soldiers are not forced to defend our country, and there is only a few who will give almost everything the got to see to it that our nation is safe.
“I think that it is a matter of love: the more you love a memory, the stronger and stranger it is.” -Vladimir Nabokov
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with this quote because it is so true. We tend to remember times that we enjoyed and that we cherish because when we look back at our past we want to remember the good times and not so much of the bad. I found this quote in Vanishing Acts by Jodi Piccoult. This quote is in the book because it coincides with the plot of this book. The main character is trying to recalled events from her past in order to figure out what is going on in her present day life.
"He turns away. After a pause he says slowly: "I wanted to become a head-forester once." - Franz Kemmerich, All Quiet on the Western Front.
ReplyDeleteFranz Kemmerich is on the verge of death and after having his leg amputated, he confides in Paul about one of his greatest wishes. The way he uses the word "once" makes you believe he lost his will in living or he gave up his dream. After experiencing the destruction and violence of war, the idea of taking care of nature is a contrast that struck home.
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." - Buddha
ReplyDeleteThis quote by Buddha expresses how you should only concentrate on the current moment. I agree that you shouldn't look back to the past or worry about the far future. It's only a waste of time worrying about what already happened or what you think will happen. You should have no worries about the past and future and just live your life. You shouldn't let your past event make you believe you can't be a better person today. Focus on the present and live happily. :)
"To someone in love, a fault is often more of a virtue."
ReplyDeleteI chose this quote for two reasons; one being its valentines day and the other is because its true. People automatically judge the outside before getting a chance to look beyond flaws to the inside. But those who find someone they truly love look past all of the flaws and mistakes and accept them for who they are. The flaw that someone has makes you love them even more.
"A friend hears the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails." This quote is from a readers digest i was reading this week.
ReplyDeleteI like this quote because it shows you the importance of friends. Your friends are always there for you and when you feel low, they are there to cheer you up and remind you of who you are. I think that it is very important for people to have friends who you can share you inner most feelings with.
“When you've suffered a great deal in life, each additional pain is both unbearable and trifling.”
ReplyDeleteThis is a quote from my SSR book I am reading, Life of Pi by Yann Martel. At the beginning after Pi's adventure and his life of struggle he has been through with his incredible sea journey. This quote in its context means that, When you are feeling down every little thing can make you sad or angry at the world for no reason but if you just try and keep going on, and treat every little insult of anything dragging you down as a trifling little thing of no importance just as the quote states. it is really saying that strength you can have can overcome any type of pain or disappointment you could go through.
"His father,mother and now his grandfather were all gone. He was almost alone in the world. But maybe not. All of the men and women that surround him were his people:who lived in the same land. For this Lysander had fought. And for this, Lysander would fight another day".
ReplyDeleteBirth Of A Warrior by Michael Ford.
This quote is showing that you should think of what you fight for, because you might not realize it but their might be more stuff that you love then what you just know. If you fight for something you might start to realize they become the thing closest to you. For example his village he fought for.
"More than a few times, the price I paid for slipping off that path was worth it. When there were other veterans in the audience, they would see my discomfort, our eyes would meet, and then I'd see theirs. A moment like that usually passed silently, never a word spoken. I've shared more than a few of them with older warriors, and after each one I came away feeling that, though I'd never met the man before and though we may be from different service branches, races, creeds, colors, or upbringings, all of us are brothers, once you've boiled all the unimportant stuff away.
ReplyDeleteSame blood, different mud."
This quote is from the book Service, by Marcus Lutterll.
I chose this quote because it shows you how people who have served in different branches of the military share a unique and special bond that separates them from regular civilians. It shows me how just by making eye contact with one another these men are able to feel the remorse, sadness, and terror that each other have seen in combat. This quote means a lot to me because most veterans are treated poorly by people who have not experienced war and the only people that they can really relate to are those in service or who have previously seen combat.
“As for self-deceit, most people find it as essential for survival as air.” - Dean Koontz
ReplyDeleteThis is an insightful quote that I came across when reading my self select book. I chose to write about this one because it truly made me stop and think about truth behind it and what it all meant. This statement essentially is saying that most people feel the need to lie to themselves about certain things because they are too afraid of knowing and embracing the truth. I feel that this is a very correct proclamation. People nowadays are too afraid of little things, and they deal with it by telling themselves something that deep down they know is false, but forcing themselves to believe it anyway because it is more pleasant than the cold hard truth. These people who engage in self-deceit, do so because they don’t know how to live without it, just like air. I can understand how these people think this is a suitable solution, but when you take a step you realize that this is not the proper way to deal with your problems. Problems can only truly be solved by dealing with them directly.
"Sire, you are looking at a plain man and I am looking at a great man. Each of us may benefit." This was said by Monseigneur Myriel in Victor Hugo's Les Misérables
ReplyDeleteThis quote is definitely one of the more memorable ones that I've found while reading a book. It really means that everyone has something that can be beneficial, whether they are considered normal, below average, or great. I think that this is a very important quote, because it tells us that people of any rank can have some sort of stature and value. I chose this quote because it has been one of the few things that I can always remember exactly from Les Misérable. It really stood out to me and I felt that it was an important statement that was made in the book.
"She'd been there at the bar, already itching to leave, when she felt a wave of energy, the way some people say the air turns crackly before the weather takes a turn, or when a star is about to fall from the sky." - Blue Diary by Alice Hoffman
ReplyDeleteI love the end of this quote. This truly explains what love at first sight would be like if it ever happened to one of us. Something so powerful can be so unknown. The beauty of a falling star, but the suspense of it all right before it makes the beauty. The stillness of the air before a big gush of winds pushes you over. This is what love should feel like, and if we haven't had this occur to us, I dont feel we should say we are in love.
"Choose wisely, little girl for your life is on the linel" said a factionless man in Divergent by Veronica Roth
ReplyDeleteBEatrice has just been told that her test results were inconclusive and they had no idea what faction to put her in and was classified dangerous (divergent). She is sworn to secrecy of her test results and an old man approaches her at a bus stop. The old man is factionless and a pesant in society. He asks her her age and about her test and advises her to choose wisely how she takes behaves for it will determine the rest of her life. This quote shows how even a stranger can show intrest or a willingness to care for others. He doesn't know this girl but he knows the outcome and life of a factionless so he wants her to have a great life and not live how he is forced to by society. there are examples that this applies to most of our lives. when we are little we tend to do bad things like steal, or be negative towards other but there are adults (the factionless man) whom tell us right from wrong and to not make the same error again. This quote really stood out because it was so relatable.
Why did you pick this quote?
Delete“These days her entire life was about making people believe she was someone she wasn’t anymore.” -Jodi Picoult, The Tenth Circle.
ReplyDeleteThis quote was found while I was reading The Tenth Circle, by Jodi Picoult, and for some reason it really stood out to me. To me this quote means that people put on phony smiles and do their best to make others believe they’re someone they aren’t. I think these phony actions done so that they can hide their real selves and feelings from others. This to me means that people change and are afraid of how people may react to their feelings and changes. People that do this hide the person that they have become from everyone around them, and lead others to believe they’ve never changed.
This quote caused me to feel sad because I feel that it is true. There really are many people in this society that hide themselves and their true feelings from others just to feel accepted. People every day may be suffering from depression, but have learned to fake a phony smile and mask their emotions so that others cannot see how they’re actually feeling.
"One time, when I was very little, I climbed a tree and ate these green, sour apples. My stomach swelled and became hard like a drum, it hurt a lot. Mother said that if I’d just waited for the apples to ripen, I wouldn’t have become sick. So now, whenever I really want something, I try to remember what she said about the apples."
ReplyDeleteI found this quote when i was reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. This quote means so much to me because it tells us all to slow down and enjoy life. Why would you want to rush a beautiful thing and risk getting hurt when by just waiting for the right time you could avoid the pain and suffering that come from hasty decisions and enjoy a sweet victory. I think that by living life by this quote people would be much nicer and enjoy a more plentiful life. Also, waiting for something that you think you desire the most makes us question how bad we really want it allowing us to make more sound decisions and creating a more stable future for ourselves.
“Instead of protecting you, it’s more likely to blow up.”
ReplyDeleteI found this article on the New York Times website written by Sabrina Tavernise. I was scrolling through recent articles and I came across this particular one about gun laws and how a teen shot himself because there was a gun available in his house. "Nearly 20,000 of the 30,000 deaths from guns in the United States in 2010 were suicides".This article was about how his father didn't have a gun safe and there was no where to really keep the gun. This article really touched me because it made me think of the Sandy Hook shooting and the Colorado shooting. In the article they are also talking about strengthening the gun laws which is really needed since these recent occurrences are fatal.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/14/us/to-lower-suicide-rates-new-focus-turns-to-guns.html?hp
“Love is patient, love is kind, and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.” –Corinthians 13:4-13
ReplyDeleteThis is a quote a heard/read in church a couple of weeks ago, and just recently I heard this quote again in a movie. It seemed weird to me when I heard it in the movie, because I knew I heard it before. I finally remembered, I read it in church not so long ago. That is why this quote stuck out to me. Also, since it is Valentine’s Day today, it seemed appropriate. The quote goes on, but the overall meaning is that love is always good, and with love in your life you be happier and be able to overcome many things!
“People who think dying is the worst thing don’t know a thing about life.”
ReplyDelete- The Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kidd
In the beginning of my SSR book, Lily, the fourteen year old main character, started telling the readers how her mother died, opening up with this quote. I was interested the minute I read it. Having such a deep thought come from a relatively young character surprised me. To me, the quote means that although dying may seem like the most unpleasant thing in the world, living without someone you love is even worse. The quote even hints that trying to live your life after you’ve lost someone dear to you is harder than anything else imaginable. Having to live with grief and sorrow can be too much to bear. After thinking this quote over, I realized how true that is. I couldn’t imagine my life without my mom, brother, or the rest of my family.
“It's crazy, right? To love someone who's hurt you? It's even crazier to think that someone who hurts you, loves you.” – Jodi Picoult, The Tenth Circle
ReplyDeleteThis is one of the many famous quotes from the book The Tenth Circle. This quote stands out to me because whether we admit it or not, when someone we love hurts us, you can’t help but continue to keep loving them for who they are and not for what they did. We can’t seem to help it but that’s the most fascinating and twisted part about it.
"Stop reading the news clippings. You're small and you're going to be smaller every week. There ain't going to be no growth spurt between now and the first game. You're going to use your minds! You're going to play with your heart! And that is what you're going to use to win the State Championship. "
ReplyDeleteI heard this quote when i was watching Friday Night Lights. This quote stuck out to me because it talks about how believing in yourself is what you need in order to overcome a difficult obstacle. As a member of the wrestling team this year Coach Bass always would tell us that if we believe in ourselves we would be able to do anything we put our minds too. The days leading up to our match against undefeated and 3rd ranked in the state Rocky Point we treated every practice like we were practicing for the state championship, and when the time finnaly came we shocked the wrestling world by upsetting Rocky Point and thats because we believed in ourselves and wrestled our hearts out, so it goes to show that if you believe in yourself you can accomplish anything
"This is what it always comes down to, I realized. There are the ones who believe, and the ones who don't, and caught in the space between them are guns." -Change of Heart, Jodi Picoult
ReplyDeleteThis quote really stood out to me because I feel like it pretty much sums up a lot of the conflicts in this world, mostly religious ones. It is also very deep and blunt and I like it.
“Words are like eggs dropped from great heights; you can no more call them back than ignore the mess they leave when they fall.”- Jodi Picoult, Salem Falls
ReplyDeleteThis quote caught my attention while reading my self-select book. I think it has a great meaning and a lesson behind the words. What the author is saying is that once you say something, there is no taking it back. You cannot undo what had already been done. Instead of focusing on what you did wrong, you need to find a way to fix it and clean up the mess you have created. Even though we do not always mean for it to happen, our words can spiral out of control. And once something is said, it is out there and cannot be ignored. There is no possible way to reserve what you said, so you have to accept the consequences. Just like the dropped egg, even if the problems fixed, the cracks will always remain.
“That's the thing about life. A lot of the time, it isn't easy at all. We just have to try to make the best of it.”
ReplyDelete― Nicholas Sparks
This quote caught my eye because it's completely true. Life is very unpredictable, and not easy at times. Sometimes you have many obstacles you have to face, and sometimes you may not want to have to deal with them. You have to make the best of your life because you only get one of them. Time flies, and you wouldn't want to waste time worrying about this that are irrelevant when you can be making the best of a situation. Live life to the fullest.
“Life, he realized, was much like a song. In the beginning there is mystery, in the end there is confirmation, but it's in the middle where all the emotion resides to make the whole thing worthwhile.”
ReplyDelete― Nicholas Sparks, The Last Song
I read this book the summer of seventh grade going into eighth grade. This quote really stuck out at me because it is so true - everything in life has a beginning, middle, and end to it just like a song. Usually the middle of a song, the climax, is where most of the "heart-wrenching" emotion is put into the song - and then in the end there is resolution. This quote means so much on the surface, but also means also in between the cracks.
"This tree house is magic!"
ReplyDelete- Mary Pope Osborne, The Magic Tree House
I read this book five years ago. This was my favorite series. I used to wish that I could find the magic tree house and go back in time like the kids do in the book. That was my wish every birthday. I just love Mary Pope Osborne's creativity and originality.
-Michael Pesce
"You can’t negotiate with someone who is trying to cut your head off"
ReplyDeleteMacrus lutrell, lone survivor
This quote is from lone survivor, a book about the experience about a navy seal fighting the taliban in the hindu-cush mountain ranges. What this quote teaches you is that even though schools and everyone says use your words there comes a time when words are not enough, when someone can't be reasoned with and you must take action. I appreciate this quote because it tells the world as it is no fluff, no be nice to everyone no matter what, no story book. It straight forwardly tells you against what you have been told, fighting can be the only answer sometimes
"Because you're beautiful. I enjoy looking at beautiful people, and I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simple pleasures of existence."
ReplyDelete-John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
I really enjoyed this quote when I came across it a few months ago. John Green has an amazing writing style, and so many of his lines catch your eye and make you sit and wonder about them for a bit. In this quote, Hazel can't understand why Augustus is so intrigued by her. She's going through medical treatment and isn't in a particularly attractive phase. Augustus, on the other hand, sees through it and enjoys Hazel's presence. It's definitely a sappy one, but i can't help loving this quote.
“In the end you should always do the right thing even if it's hard.”
ReplyDelete-Nicholas Sparks
I came across this quote while reading an article. It definitely caught my eye because it pertains to everyday life. My mom would always tell me to do this too. Nicholas Sparks is probably one of my favorite authors. I feel this quote has meaning to it. Doing the right thing is always the better choice but some people don’t have the capacity and are unable to make the right choice. People will always have that choice to make a good or bad move. It may be the harder choice but it will probably be the right one. I feel as though, making good decisions makes me feel better inside and makes me have a clear conscious. Everyone has a run-in with things like this and everyone will make the wrong decision once in a while but we all learn from these mistakes and will grow as people.
" I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear. " -MLK
ReplyDeleteI came across this quote a long time ago, 6th grade, while doing a project on Martin Luther King. I love this quote a lot to me and it really stands out to me. It means that you should learn to love and to look to the bright side of everything because hating something takes up a lot more time and energy than learning to live with it. This quote taught me a lot, now in every bad situation I am in, no matter how painful and hard it is, I try to always look to the bright side of things. I think this is a great quote to live and breathe by and that everyone should learn to love and see the good in things that may seem to be bad instead of hating.
"working together, these five factions have lived in peace for many years, each contributing to a different sector of society"- Marcus
ReplyDeleteAt the choosing ceremony Marcus, is explaining why their society is divided into specific groups based on their personality. IN order to control the corrupted from the faithful, the strong from the weak, the brave from the cowardly and other separate personal qualities of individuals, the state created abnegation test. These test would test the personal qualities of individuals and determine where in society they should be placed. The need for this is that everyone is different so they must be separated. some people aren't trusted around others, so the government emphasizes that by running test. Each group contributes in a special way to society based on the qualities of their group or "faction". This is similar to our society in school where we put advanced students in honors, or AP classes; slow students in S.E. classes; and regular average students in regular classes designed for their level. In the book the members of each faction aren't allowed to see members of other factions. Our society is different in that we are allowed to see other students of other levels, and grades. We get along with others no matter how different, smarter, or not as smart they may be. We learn to accept others. In the book Divergent, I don' think factions get along with members of other factions because their government isolates these groups. Yes, different groups can contribute to an ideal "utopian" society but it wouldn't be able to bring joy to many if the people were secluded or separated.
"If thou feelest it to be for thy soul's peace, and that thy earthly punishment will thereby be made more effectual to salvation, I charge thee to speak out the name of thy fellow-sinner and fellow-sufferer!" - Scarlet Letter
ReplyDeleteWhen Dimmesdale says this, he is telling Hester exactly what he doesn't want her to do. He is telling her that she should tell who she had sex with, and that's him. He doesn't actually want her to say who, so he's telling her to do it only if it makes her feel at peace. Dimmesdale is showing that to sin is to suffer, but that sins can be disguised.
- Michael Pesce
Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
ReplyDeleteBuddha
I came across this quote while I was searching the web. This quote stuck out to me because I often hear people talking about how their going to be rich and famous when they get older, but in reality I see them being nothing but a chef a McDonald’s. Im not saying there is anything wrong with that but I can promise you the chances of you becoming rich and famous on that route is slim to none. This quote meant to me act in the present if you want to become rich and famous do something now to benefit you later in life. I also am a victim of this quote sometimes I dwell to much in the past I need to learn to just wipe the past away, bad or good I still need to move on. If its good I need to be able to do something better today, better than yesterday. If its bad well that’s a single handed reason to wipe it away.
" Its the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen"- John wooden
ReplyDeleteI came across this quote on a poster that i saw. I chose this quote because i think it touches on something that everybody should think about. Everybody always worries about the big things in life but they're not willing to work on all the little things. You wont be able to become a professional athlete if all you worry about is the big game, you have to worry about every practice,every choice you make, and you have to work on every detail. Once you focus on the little things, big things will happen.
"Corpses of the Iraqi attackers who fell in the road have been run over repeatedly by tracked vehicles. They are flattened with their entrails squished out. Marines in First Recon nickname one corpse Tomato Man, because from a distance he looked like a smashed crate of tomatoes."
ReplyDeleteThis quote is from my SSR book. I chose this quote because it shows the harsh realities of war that many people may not know about. One of the Marines made a joke about it probably to ease the situation because the things they were seeing were probably life changing if not damaging. The things the Marines saw were things that people wish they would never have to see in their entire lifetime.
"Those to whom beauty is truth and truth beauty- and in whose eyes the beauty of genuine brotherhood and peace is more precious than diamonds or silver or gold." -Martin Luther King Jr.
ReplyDeleteThis quote is from the Noble Peace Prize acceptance speech we read in class. Martin Luther King Jr. is really the vision of equality and the struggle he made to achieve it, even though he never did. To me this quote means that if you value honesty, those who tell the truth are pure in your eye and that is more valuable than anything else.
"I am come hither to accuse no man, nor to speak any thing of that, whereof I am accused and condemned to die, but I pray God save the king and send him long to reign over you, for a gentler nor a more merciful prince was there never..." Excerpt from Anne Boleyn's execution speech, taken from Philippa Gregory's novel The Other Boleyn Girl
ReplyDeleteThis is a very powerful quote. Anne Boleyn is known as an insanely ambitious person who would stop at nothing to gain her place at the throne. She is accused of being a witch and many other crazy charges that she may or may not have committed. This little quote shows how her dignity even to the point of death was always going strong. Her forgiveness of the people who accused her is very admirable because at this point in her life, her brother, father, and uncle were there at her trial to testify against her. Just imagining that happening to me is very sad, and her regality at this low moment in her life makes me think that she wasn't that bad of a person, and that it's too bad that she wised up at the last part in her life.
"When you've got nothing, you've got nothing to lose."
ReplyDeleteI came across this quote when reading a sports article. This sports article was about an athlete that came from very little and found a way to succeed in the best way he knew possible, athletics. This man originally heard this quote in a song called "Like A Rolling Stone" by Bob Dylan. This quote correctly exemplifies o Jackson's motives. He knew it was a long shot to be able to succeed based on the neighborhood and poverty he was born into, but he tried his best and worked his very hardest, knowing he had nothing to lose. In the end, he was named an All-Star in two major sports, baseball and football. To me, this quote shows the strength in people such as Bo who never let their heads down and always continue to persevere forward. I find true inspiration in people that are able to overcome enormous obstacles in life and still succeed and reach their goals. More specifically, this quote makes me think of all the times I've ever doubted myself, all the times I've been upset, and puts a whole different light on the situation. Even if you feel like you are at rock bottom, their are still ample opportunities to carry on and move forward. This quote and Bo Jackson himself are both very inspiring and optimistic.
“It seemed funny that the sunset she saw from her patio and the one I saw from the back steps was the same one. Maybe the two worlds we lived in weren’t so different. We saw the same sunset.”
ReplyDelete-S.E. Hinton, The Outsiders
I chose this quote because I often find myself thinking of in the same kind of perception, with relationships between people all over the world. Sometimes you may think that the world is so different in other countries, and that you could never live how they live or think how they think. However, just because two people speak different languages or are in different social classes doesn’t mean that they think differently. I believe that people are people, and no matter how alone you may feel in something, there is most likely someone thinking or living the same thing, which is why I don’t understand why in a world Seven Billion people, some individuals insist on believing that they are all alone.
"The voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."
ReplyDelete-Marcel Proust.
I found this while reading an article about nature after reading my self select about flowers. I like this quote because it shows how you don't always have to find new things by looking in different places all the time, but by having a different attitude you may be able to discover new things you wouldn't have been able to otherwise. It supports how having an open mind will allow you to accept other ideas with greater ease and possibly widen your spectrum of opinion.
"Every time I take a flight, I am always mindful of the many people who make a successful journey possible," - Martin Luther King, Jr.
ReplyDeleteWhen Martin Luther King was accepting his nobel peace prize he said this quote during his speech. I admire the fact that he said this because, even though he was the person getting the award, he wasn’t taking full credit for the impact he made. Many people out there are making a difference today but only a few of them are acknowledged for their good deeds. I think that is important to appreciate the good things that everyone does. Not enough people are being thanked for the things that they do to help the community. Without the ‘little people’ standing up for whats right we would not have all of the privileges that we take for granted today.
" 'Nobody important'. Blimey, that's amazing. Did you know, in 900 years of time and space I've never met anyone who wasn't important before. " -11th Doctor (Doctor Who)
ReplyDeleteI was on twitter recently and came across this quote from my favorite show, Doctor Who. This is not only my favorite quote from the show, but it's one of my favorite quotes ever! I like it for two reasons, the sentiment behind it towards the show, and how to applies to real life. In the show, you'd assume that the Doctor doesn't bother to remember the people he meets while traveling in space and time. You'd assume he would think of him as superior to normal people because he has a time machine and can live forever. I love when he said this because it shows how even someone like the Doctor, can see significance and importance in everyone. It shows compared to time travel and fighting aliens, and normal human being can be extraordinary. This quote taught me that in everyday life, no one is insignificant. The people we meet and experiences we have are all important in one way or another. It means to me that everyone you meet is so important, even if they seem ordinary. What this shows is that every single person has a role to play and that everyone is in fact, important.
“If you're in trouble, or hurt or need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.” - The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck
ReplyDeleteThis was a comment made by the main character's mom, complaining about how high the prices for food was at the store. The man behind the cash register knew that the prices were too high but said that that's just the way it is. Then right before she left the store she said the above quote. That quote comes at a time when the main character's family was struggling to get food or money. By saying this she is showing that to get the help that a person needs, you can only go to a person who has experienced that same pain. I feel that this quote shows how different people become in difficult times. For example, the cashier most likely would have helped out the mother, but he wasn't sure that he could get another job and he was not willing to risk not having money to pay for food.
"Isn't it amazing how, when you strip away everything, people are so much alike?" - Jodi Picoult, 19 minutes
ReplyDeleteThis quote is from the book 19 minutes by Jodi Picoult. I really liked it because it shows how on the inside everyone is the same. It doesn't matter what your social status, race or appearance is,everyone is the same once everything is taken away. You don't realize how similar you are to everyone you see each day which can cause some people to think they are better or worse than others. When you truly look at somebody you realize who they really are and how similar you are too them.
"All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better."
ReplyDelete- Ralph Waldo Emerson
I pondered upon this quote while I was on the internet. To me, this quote has one simple meaning behind it; life is about taking chances. You're never going to know what you like in life unless you try different things, experiment them. Life is all about taking chances, and finding who you are. To find who you are you have to try out different interests. My mom always tells me "Carly Shae, you have to try something before you say you don't like it." If you don't try stuff out, and take chances, you're not going to know if you like it or not.
"In nineteen minutes, you can mow the front lawn, color your hair, and watch a third of a hockey game. In nineteen minutes you can bake scones or get a tooth filled by a dentist; you can fold laundry for a family of five...." "In nineteen minutes, you can stop the world, or you can just jump off it. In nineteen minutes, you can get revenge."
ReplyDelete- Jodi Picoult, "Nineteen Minute.
I was reading Nineteen Minutes when this quote caught my eye. This shows how just a few minutes can have such a different effect on different people. In a few minutes, you can carry on a normal day and do some fun activities. But if you were in Sterling High, nineteen minutes is all it takes a student to start a shooting and turn a town and everyone’s lives in it upside down. So much can happen in such little time. It just depends where you are and when.
"Some made the long drop from the apartment or the office window; some took it quietly in two-car garages with the motor running; some used the native tradition of the Colt or Smith and Wesson; those well-constructed implements that end insomnia, terminate remorse, cure cancer, avoid bankruptcy, and blast an exit from intolerable positions by the pressure of a finger; those admirable American instruments so easily carried, so sure of effect, so well designed to end the American dream when it becomes a nightmare, their only drawback the mess they leave for relatives to clean up."
ReplyDelete-Ernest Hemingway, "To Have and Have Not"
Though this quote is very sinister, I really liked it for several qualities it contains. First, it is a good representation of the book, which I really enjoyed. This is because the book is set in the great depression era and is about how a man struggles through dangerous illegal activity to attempt to support his family. It also makes glimpses into the lives of several other people and the effects the depression had on them. This quote was about a man who was a scheming cheat who used cut-throat methods to get ahead. He did anything to be on top and ruined many people's lives in the process. It demonstrates many of the gloomy overtones related to desperation and struggle present throughout the novel. Also, Hemingway utilized multiple witty phrases in this quote such as "cure cancer", "avoid bankruptcy", and "to end the American dream when it becomes a nightmare", which I found interesting. This quote gives an insight, similar to that seen in the rest of the book, on how terrible some people's lives were in response to the economic collapse of the 1930s.
"And anyway," Tannerton had said, "you and I will be the last people in this world to lay eyes on him. When we shut this box tonight, it'll never be opened again."
ReplyDeleteI immediately wanted to use this quote when I read it in my self-select book, Whispers by Dean Koontz. I recognized foreshadowing right away and was surprised by how broad the statement was in literary context. The quote is actually a paragraph in itself, so it definitely helped me predict what was going to happen later on. Koontz isn't really the type of author who writes in a lot of deep messages throughout the book which makes it hard to find a good quote usually, but this obvious quote stood out for sure.
"I believe that what self-centered men have torn down, men other-centered can build up."
ReplyDeleteThis quote is actually from Martin Luther King Jr's Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech that we've been reading and listening to in class for claim-making. When we first started listening to the speech, it went completely over my head; but as we broke up the paragraphs and actually read, it caught my eye. It's definitely an intelligent, observant quote. Looking at the world, many things that have been polluted by selfish people can often be restored by people who care about them. In his speech he's obviously referring to racism and how many before that time had only thought of themselves in the issues of society and hadn't really stopped to think about how others were being treated. Finally, there was a time when people were beginning to notice and were trying to help. These are the "other-centered" men that King mentions.
"Silence was just a quieter way to lie." -Jodi Picoult
ReplyDeleteThis quote is from the book The Tenth Circle. I chose this quite because thats what people today, I feel believe. Just because you did something wrong, or messed something up doesn't make up for that fact that you did it. You can't erase the actions you have made. People think that instead of coming forward on what they have done, to just keep quite. Maybe they think that it's the best thing to do, maybe they think that if your quite enough that no one noticed. Or maybe it's that fact that you know you did something wrong and you keeping quite is your way of an apology.
"But you can't get away from yourself. You can't decide not to see yourself anymore. You can't decide to turn off the noise in your head." -Jay Asher, Thirteen Reasons Why
ReplyDeleteThis quote really stands out to me. Maybe because this book really grabbed my emotions and got me thinking about suicide and guilt and what ever you do can affect someone beyond belief whether you know it or not. But when I reached this quote, I realized that life doesn't stop for anyone or anything. You make decisions and you have to move and live with the effects and consequences whether it's good or bad. Regret and guilt don't even go away. You can't just make everything stop and change it and thats why it is so important to always make the right decisions, think twice, and think about others - not just yourself.
“When you're different, sometimes you don't see the millions of people who accept you for what you are. All you notice is the person who doesn't.” - Jodi Picoult Change of Heart
ReplyDeleteThis quote means that even if you are different people around you will still be respectful and accept you for who you are. No one is the same and everyone has their own flaws. Many people will be down on themselves for the flaws that they think that they have, but they don't take the chance to look around them and realize that many people are just like them and have similar flaws. These differences were meant to be embraced and are accepted by others. Although you might think that you are extremely different from someone else in reality there are only a few things that keep you from being who you are. These faults or imperfections are what make each person their own person and different from the people around them.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
ReplyDeleteI chose this quote because it its very true. It is explaining how revenge can make someone miss the real purpose in life. Also, it is saying how if everyone tries to get even with each other, than there won't be someone to get even with or how if someone gets revenge, then both people loose. I like this quote because it speaks very true for our times today. It may not be in our country, but in other countries, an eye for an eye is a way of living. If everyone can get passed old grudges and move on with their lives, then the world can enter a peaceful era for all its people. There would be no jealousy and then nobody would have the need to look for a revenge.
"Man has come to dominate the planet thanks to two essential traits. One is intelligence. The other is the absolute willingness to kill anyone and anything that gets in its way." -Stephen King, Cell
ReplyDeleteI found this quote will reading, I chose this quote because I thought that it proved true in many cases. Whenever man is threatened either by an animal or by another man the threat is swiftly removed. A few examples are, when man was threatened by lions, and tigers, and bears man didn't hesitate to eliminate them. Or when man was determined to expand westward pushing natives and altering the traditional landscape of the midwest dramatically. This quote holds deep meaning to me, i feel ashamed of the atrocities mankind has done in the past. Hopefully we can learn from our mistakes
“You must take life the way it comes at you and make the best of it.”
ReplyDelete― Yann Martel, Life of Pi
I liked this phrase because Yann Martel, the author of the book Life of Pi, is trying to tell us that there are obstacles in life. You should not resist them. When you overcome the obstacles, life will only be more enjoyable.
“Whom do you save? Can you save both? Or do you save only yourself? Do you do nothing and risk nothing, or die from whatever happens to come along as you sit on a log waiting for whatever comes?”-Saving Fish from Drowning
ReplyDeleteThis quote is referencing the decision between what is morally right to do for others, and what is good for yourself. I find it interesting because when you think about it; how far should be go to do something that is “right”? Do we help others, or do we help ourselves? And if lives are in danger, whom do you save? It really brings to light the question of how far you would go for someone else, whether they are close to you, or a complete stranger.
“What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherf******s in the jungle.” Tom from Stephen King's "Cell"
ReplyDeleteThis quote is talking about man's most basic nature and instincts. Tom is explaining how humans are not special, we are just crazy. I find this quote interesting. I somewhat agree with this quote. I believe that humans have diversified and evolved enough so that we have branched away from our murderous past. Our ancestors I believe were much more barbaric then we are today, but we have outgrown our past. For example, the mongols are thought to have tortured and killed as many as 40 million people. Todays equivalent of that would be over 300 million, or the entire population of America. But, as we have evolved i think that we have calmed down and our civilization has started advancing. We now have huge humanitarian projects, civil rights leaders, and brilliant people working to make this world a better place. Of course we still have people who are animal and murderous in nature, be together as a whole, we have calmed what Tom believes to be our most basic instinct. That is what I think of this quote.
"When we judge, we don't understand"- Unknown
ReplyDeleteI came across this quote while reading online. I think it's true because people are always judging other people. This quote kind of relates to the quote about people with glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Everyone is so quick to judge without realizing or having sympathy that everyone has problems in their life so judging is the wrong thing to do. Understanding someone else's life is just too hard meanwhile, judging is the easy thing to do. Because we are just so cruel, everyone judges each other no matter who, what, where, they come from or have. I know I've judged people before and it made me feel bad and guilty inside. The moral of the quote is just don't judge others.
"Always believe there's a reason why you go through everything."
ReplyDelete- John Elway
I had a poster of John Elway in my room with this quote on it. So this quote has really meant a lot to me. I interpret it as that everything you do has a purpose and when you feel that what you are doing is not worth the work you put into it, always think about what it truly means. If you honestly feel that what you are doing is not worth doing, you should stop doing it. But if you think what you are doing has a reason and purpose then keep going your hardest and don't give up.
"Think you've seen it all? Think again. Outside those doors, we might see anything. We could find new worlds, terrifying monsters, impossible things. And if you come with me... nothing will ever be the same again!" - The Tenth Doctor from Doctor Who
ReplyDeleteI love this quote not only because David Tennant is my favorite Doctor from Doctor Who, but despite the fact this is a science-fiction show, we can use our imagination and truly pretend we can escape to these magical worlds where anything can happen. We can picture ourselves in space or in a meadow or anywhere we can chose to be.
"If your only tool is a hammer then, every problem looks like a nail"
ReplyDeleteI came across this quote while I was reading Plum Island by Nelson DeMille. I find this quote very interesting because it asks you to open up your mind, to be open to new things and think outside of the box. The nails in this quote represent the obstacles and hardships of our lives, while the tools represent our mindsets. If we can change our mindsets and the way we view these problems we can turn them into opportunities for ourselves.
“How far should a person go in the name of true love?” -Nicholas Sparks, The Choice
ReplyDeleteI came across this quote while reading one of my new favorite books, The Choice. Towards the end of the book this quote was repeated numerous times while the main character Travis, was weighing his options about his wife Gabby’s situation. Each time I read this quote I was caused to self reflect and think about why this quote had such meaning to me. I realized this quote causes the reader to think about what he or she would do for the person they love. I myself, would do anything I possibly could to ensure that the people I love are safe and happy. This quote means to me that each person expresses love differently and would go to different lengths to keep the ones they love happy.
“He called dreams a ‘royal road’ into which the unconscious, made up of all the forbidden wishes you had and wished you hadn’t”.
ReplyDelete-The Tenth Circle, Judi Picoult
I came across this quote when I was reading The Tenth Circle. I read it the first time, read a few sentences past it, and then just had to go back and read it again. I loved the way it flowed and explained what dreams are to this teacher. It really made me stop and think about what dreams are. And that line explained it pretty well for me. Dreams are all of your deepest thoughts and desires that no one else knows about and the things that you yourself don’t even want to remember that just keep popping up in your thoughts when you cant even control them.
"I bite into my pillow. I grasp the iron rods of my bed with my fists. I ought never to have come here. Out there i was indifferent and often hopeless- i will never be able to be so again. I was a solider, and now I am nothing but an agony for myself..."- Paul from All Quiet On The Western Front by. Erich Maria Remarque.
ReplyDeleteWhen I read this quote it fit into what was going on in the book. Paul just came back from leave and he is describing what war shock can cause people. It sums up the chapter where he talks to his mother about what happened. Every night he has nightmares about what happened out on the battlefield. When he was there he felt hopeless and nothing except for the guy who looks out for the guy next to him, but now he suffers from agony since he is no longer a solider and feels lonely. This quote shows how much war can effect people more then just them getting shot and dying. It shows the shock of war.
“Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything's possible again. You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time. -Day”
ReplyDelete― Marie Lu, Legend
I came upon this quote while reading the book Legend. To me it means that everyday you get a gift of twenty-four new hours which you get to use to accomplish what you set out to do and change the things that you didn't the day before
“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”
ReplyDelete― Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
When I read this book last year in English, this quote really jumped out at me. Like they say, you can't judge a book by it's cover. People today judge people every corner they turn. To me, this quote means that you don't really understand and feel a connection to that person until you really realize what they have been through or what they experience every - not until you walk around under his skin for this case. This is a very powerful quote and it is one of my favorites.
“All endings are also beginnings. We just don’t know it at the time...” - Mitch Albom
ReplyDeleteI came across this quote towards the beginning of my book, “The FIve People you Meet in Heaven.” I really like this quote because it is completely true and has even proven itself to me in some situations before. When things end, we typically respond with sadness and only see the negatives about the situation. We block out the concept that this could be, and often is, the start of something new at the same time. And more often than not, this something new is a good thing and usually has very positive affects on our lives further down the road. This quote supports the fact that there is always some good that can come out of even the most horrible events in life.
"We believe in bravery, we believe in taking action, we believe in freedom from fear and in acquiring the skills to force the bad out of our world so that the good can prosper and thrive."
ReplyDelete-Divergant, Veronica Roth
I came upon this quote while finishing the book today. it caught my attention because it was very relatable to what the troops from our country do, to keep us safe. This quote is entirely true and i also believe in this but in the effort to try and do better, be a better person and accomplish goals which will help others. this is almost like the motto of the dauntless by which they follow and believe but is very true and was comparable to the abnegations view, they are similar yet different in ways but is another reason i chose this quote because it stuck out from the text.
“Once you accept that you can do absolutely anything you really want to do, life is simple. You only have to decide what's worth doing.”
ReplyDelete-Anonymous
While discovering this quote over the Internet, I found this saying to be very simple yet so meaningful. You have the power and the ability to make life-changing decisions and create remarkable opportunities for yourself and others. It is in your judgment whether you want to put in effort into what you want or not. Anything’s possible, as long as you believe.
“We are just two people. Not that much separates us. Not nearly as much as I'd thought."
ReplyDelete- Skeeter Phelan in The Help by Kathryn Stockett
The Help is a novel about the conflict between blacks and white people in the South during the 1960s, and when I found this quote toward the end of this book, I thought it did a good job of “summing up” the whole story. Even though the quote is referring to how white people and black people aren’t much different from each other, I think this applies to a lot of other things in our everyday lives. The best example I could come up with relates to how people are treated based on what kind of material things they own. Maybe the popular girl in school wears the most expensive outfits she can find, but she really isn’t any different than the other girls in more modest clothes. In the end, I chose this quote because I think it’s really important for people to open their eyes to the fact that there’s so much in common between people that may seem like polar opposites, even if it takes a while to realize it. After all, Skeeter didn’t come up with this in the beginning of the story; it took her a while to come to this conclusion.
“Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.”
ReplyDeleteThis is a quote from the book Divergent by Veronica Roth. I have heard many different views on fear and what it can do for people, ranging from great to devastating outcomes. I think this is pretty accurate, because fear is a part of every person, and to be fearless would be to be not human. So, in turn, controlling our fear is all we could hope to do.
"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Martin Luther King Jr.
ReplyDeleteI really like this quote by Martin, it is one of my favorite quotes. I believe the meaning of the quote is that when it comes down to it, it won't matter of all the people who looked down on you or didn't believe you. What truly matters is our friends and the words of the enemies may hurt, but what hurts the most is when your friend looses hope in you. I believe that friends are really more important than enemies. I think everyone should care less of what others think of them and only believe in themselves.
We were proud of our precious red scarves, which, like the national flag, were dyed red with the blood of our revolutionary martyrs- red scarf girl
ReplyDeletei picked this quote because it symobolizes her pride for her fellow country men and what they sacraficed for china. the young girl that sayed this was conflicted through out the book with political ideas about the country and at the end finally decided that her family was more important than the governmaent
matt lidonnici
"One could not count the moons that shimmer on her roofs, or the thousand splendid suns that hide behind her walls" -A Thousand Splendid Suns
ReplyDeleteThis title of the book is derived from this quote that Babi shares with Laila. She knows that it was his favorite, and carries it with her after his death. In a world of hate and violence towards women, Babi is telling this to her to lift her spirits, and remind her that she is important. In my perspective, it means that a person may look attractive on the outside, but what is behind their appearance can be much more. Babi has always valued Laila's education and tells her that she will do something with her life, rather than marry off and be a maid forever. This quote moved me, and gave me another reason to love this book. In a society where all that matters of a woman is her virginity and appearance, it was nice to see Babi respect and care for his daughter, unlike most men of the time.
“The only thing worse than a boy who hates you: a boy that loves you.”
ReplyDelete― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief
I read this book on earlier this year but the quote always kind of hung around me. In this sense it was used as a mockery saying that the boy who loves you bothers you and never leaves you alone. But how i see the boy that loves you is worse than the boy who hates you is that a boy who loves you would do anything for you. But what happens when you wont do anything for him? He gets upset and you never want him that way. There is so much pressure on you to treat someone right who treats you right, but if someone hates you, then you are free to say or do whatever you feel.
"If you spent your life concentrating on what everyone else thought of you, would you forget who you really were?" Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Piccoult
ReplyDeleteI really liked this quote for one main reason, it is so relevant to what happens in the lives of thousands of teenagers. In High School everyone is so focused about being perfect and cool and loved by everyone. Everyone has this image of perfection and they strive to reach it but get frustrated and disappointed when they don’t because we all are trying to impress everyone else. Being perfect is impossible, no one is perfect and no will ever be perfect. We all have our faults and flaws but those are the things that make us perfect to someone else, but we just don’t realize it. So many teens today lose who they really are because they are ashamed of it or because it isn’t “normal”. Today it is very hard to find a person who is and always has been true to themselves and to others. Why do we strive to be something that isn’t us, something that is impossible. No one is perfect. Who cares what other people think of you? Let them think what they want.
“Lies require commitment.” -Veronica Roth, Divergent
ReplyDeleteI came across this quote in my self-select book, and it really stuck out to me. When I first saw this quote I though, why do people lie if it only causes them worry, guilt, etc.? Is it even worth it? To lie, as the quote says, require so much extra effort needed than just telling the truth, and in my opinion it’s just not worth it.
“Destroying things is much easier than making them.” ― Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games
ReplyDeleteI remember this quote distinctly from reading The Hunger Games last year in english class. Seeing this quote for the first time made me want to look into the meaning of it. I agree with Suzanne Collins because less effort is involved in destroying something rather than making it. Making something takes time, effort and thought, but destroying something usually takes no thought at all.
“You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.” -Wayne Gretzky
ReplyDeleteThis quote has been one of my favorite quotes forever. I find this quote really inspirational. If you never try something there's not a chance to win or lose. You will never know if you can succeed at anything unless you give it a chance. I agree completely with Gretzky's quote because its a theory that I live by.
“In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.” – Bill Cosby
ReplyDeleteI found this quote searching the web and it stuck out to me because often times you need to take a little risk to achieve something more. My dad always tells me as a business owner smart risks are the best risks. To me risks are all about confidence when taking a risk you need to think of both the positive and negative outcomes. If the positive outcome out weights the negatives, then it’s a positive risk
“Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” – ralph emerson
ReplyDeleteTo me this quote means that you should never follow someone else create your own path in life, be yourself. Everyone on this earth is their own individual and you should always show off your personal traits, don’t try to be somebody that your not. You have to pave your own path in life.
"Up ahead they's a thousan' lives we might live, but when it comes it'll on'y be one." - The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck
ReplyDeleteThis quote came at a point in the book where the main characters family was worrying about the future. They had just been kicked off their farm in Oklahoma and were headed on their way to California. And although they started off their journey with high hopes for the road ahead, they had soon heard conflicting stories from people who had been there. That is when Tom, the person who was leaned on most by the family, said the above quote. I really like this quote because it exemplifies the belief that someone should live in the moment. Because worrying about the future is useless, as their are a "thosan' lives we may live."
"There is only one sin, only one. And that is theft. Every other sin is a variation of theft... When you kill a man, you steal a life. You steal his wife's right to a husband, rob his children of a father. When you tell a lie, you steal someone's right to the truth. When you cheat, you steal the right to fairness." -Baba, The Kite Runner
ReplyDeleteThis quote struck me when I read this book not too long ago. It made me reconsider how for the most part, the wrongs we commit onto others are usually involved with theft. Many people have done it to others and have had it done to them. It may not be as direct as taking away someone's possessions, but it can vary from degrees of theft. Stealing someone's right to knowing the truth by lying to them, or the right to fairness by cheating are considered theft in that they deprive a person of knowing the reality of a situation. Sometimes what seems to be the smallest lie and of little importance can fairly impact someone in the decisions they make by not being aware of the truth of a matter.
"For true peace is not just freedom from fear, but freedom from want . - Barack Obama
ReplyDeleteI found this quote while reading our assigned nobel peace lecture for english 10 honors. I really liked the syntax of this sentence, the way it is put together sounds very good. I think this quote means to me that to have true freedom you have to not be afraid of what might happen, but to have freedom from what you desire. You have to be able to control yourself, and being able to control yourself means that you are able to be free from yourself and do as you please in a peaceful and controlling way. Also, you cannot be afraid of what might happen, take risks and live your life the way living it makes you happy. Do things to please yourself and not for anyone else's benefit, but your own. That is what this quote means to me and why I chose it.
"If everyone else's opinion is what matters, then do you ever really have one of your own?"- Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes
ReplyDeleteWhen I read this passage in my book, immediately I thought of high school. High school is a place where people are so concerned about being skinny, what clothes they wear, and even what music they listen to. The people that worry about what others think at some point throughout get high school get lost and no longer have a true sense of who they are. When high school wraps to and end, all of the things you thought mattered, no longer do, you have a whole life to start over and succeed. The people that no longer know who they truly are, don't know what to do next. They don't know what college they want to go to or what career to go into. People like these lose themselves in trying to impress everyone else, and lose all of the unique characteristics that they once had. They don't know where to go after all of the lies they hid under no longer matter. It is important to have an opinion in yourself and confidence in yourself and the actions you perform because one day, they're going to bring you to your success.
“What see you in my face,” asked the physician, “that you look at it so earnestly?”
ReplyDelete“Something that would make me weep, if there were any tears bitter enough for it,” answered she. The Scarlet Letter, said by Hester.
Ok we both know I did not like this book at all. To be honest, I was spark noting the book at this point, and I've had a screen shot of this part on my computer for quite some time. On the spark note side it says "I see something that would make me weep is tears were bitter enough for sadness." I just love how empowered Hester is at this point, standing up for everything she believes in and saying that this is no matter to cry about. She has been through everything and back and knows that crying should be saved for only important things. She realizes this and states he does not deserve her tears. And for this i love this quote. I believe in all the strong women out there in the world, and there is a piece of strong in all of us women alike. This country has been through so much to get an increase in woman's status, and I will forever be thankful because if it weren't for the empowered in the past, i would never be able to be what i aspire to be in the future.
"I still believe that We Shall overcome!" - 1964, Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (Paragraph Seven, Lines 56-57)
ReplyDeleteI remembered this quote from Martin Luther King, Jr.'s acceptance speech he gave for receiving the Nobel Peace Prize. When I saw this quote, I underlined it, in remembrance of already hearing part of the quote. I don't remember when exactly I heard it, but it was in elementary school when we actually first learned of the Civil Rights Movement and MLK. Anyways, this quote has been a very strong motivator for me. Whenever I would feel down or sad, I could always remember how bad life was for African Americans, back then. This always made me realize that if an oppressed group of people could overcome such a difficult obstacle, then I could deal with my "First World Problems" I got upset over when I was younger.
"And while it is hard to conceive of a cause more just than the defeat of the Third Reich and the Axis Powers, World War II was a conflict in which the total number of civilians who died exceeded the number of soldiers who perished." 2009, President Barack H. Obama (Paragraph Eight, Lines 41-44)
ReplyDeleteWhen I read over this quote, I was able to relate to it very easily. Not in the sense that I knew the hardships of World War II, but I understood what President Obama was trying to make a point on. The Holocaust was a horrible occurrence in history caused from Hitler's selfish ambitions and sick mind. This quote is true, the number of civilians who died, DID exceed the number of soldiers who died. Hitler mass-murdered the Jews at his several concentration camps. The Holocaust always gives me chills and gets me upset. In eighth grade, our class went on a trip to Washington D.C. and we saw visited the Holocaust museum, and the things I read about in there were terrible. I have such a sincere sadness when I hear about it and that is why I chose this quote
"From certain angles my inner landscape resembles a gallery hung with half-recalled citations, the rags and tag-ends of a lifetime of reading and listening." - Geoffrey O'Brien, "We Are What We Quote" article from the New York Times Opinion Forum
ReplyDeleteThis article was recommended to me by a friend, because he knows how much I like to read and quote the stuff that I read. This is a mini article along of the lines of we are what we eat, and it is very interesting to hear it from a quote point of view. This quote, though, really defines me because I have just soaked up all of the information that I have read over the years and it really defines who I am and what I live by.
"For what it's worth: trust your feelings. I can't promise that you'll never get hurt again, but I can promise you the risk is worth it." -The Serpent's Shadow by Rick Riordan (Kane Chronicles)
ReplyDeleteI read this book last week for SSR and really loved it. It's the last book in one of my favorite series and really sad to see it end. Out of the whole book, this quote stuck out to me the most. It's simple and there is a lot of truth behind it. To me, it means that life can be great and you can be happy; however, there will be times when you feel down or hurt. Even though there are ups and downs in life, you can't hide away from the rest of the world. Embrace everything you encounter, and even though you might be sad for a while, you'll be better off and happy in the long run. Just don't hide from the rest of the world; you'll miss out!
"For make no mistake: evil does exist in the world. A non-violent movement could not have halted Hitler's armies." Barak Obama's Nobel Peace Prize speech
ReplyDeleteI choose this quote because, unfortunately, its the truth. War has been around since the dawn of time. Obama makes a good point in his speech, there was no way we could have peacefully stopped Hitler’s armies or convinced al Qaeda’s leaders to lay down their arms. Sining a treaty wont stop people from killing innocent people, only action will. Don’t get me wrong, I hate the idea of war and I think most of it is pointless and unnecessary, but sometimes its the only thing we can do.
"Remember, tomorrow is promised to no one."
ReplyDelete-Walter Payton
I came across this quote while reading the book Never Die Easy. I chose this quote because I feel like everybody should live their life with this quote in mind. You need to be grateful for everyday you get to live, and live everyday like its going to be your last. Nobody can tell when its their time to go so you shouldn't worry about all the little things because that holds you back from living your life. When you leave this world you should leave it with no regrets and take advantage of everyday you get to live.
"There are some truths that are so plain and obvious that for this very reason the everyday world does not see them or at least does not apprehend them..."
ReplyDeleteI got this quote from a passage I had to read in Social Studies. This quote really stood out to me with the way the words were put together. To me this quote ment that society wants answers, but the answers are right in front of them. The answer they get isn't the answer they wanted to hear. So they pretend not to know anything of it, act like nothing is wrong.
“Why is the very word that separates us from every other life from that shares this world with us. It is what allows us to look at the night sky and not just see twinkling points of light illuminating but the endless void beyond, but whose acquiescence allows us to wonder just what they are.”
ReplyDelete-http://www.facebook.com/ReesSpechtLife
A family member of mine has a Facebook page that preaches the reason why we live. We have to live life to the fullest and have to help others make the best of their lives as well. I was reading one of his posts and found this. I never thought of a simple word, why, in that way. But the more I think about it, the more this is a great definition for “why”. A small, three-lettered word allows us to think about the workings of the universe, question anything we want. I love the way he used our language to explain such a simple word and give it deeper meaning. All of his writings make me think a little deeper than usual and see things a little clearer with his amazing use of the English language.
"Violence never brings permanent peace. It solves no social problem: it merely creates new and more complicated ones." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in his Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech.
ReplyDeleteI forgot about this quote until Obama used the quote in Dr. King's speech. Violence, in my opinion, is one of the greatest curses in this world. I love this quote because it makes me think about what the world could be like if there were no violence. A non-violent world would mean a long-lasting peace. Unfortunately, we live in a world that is filled with violence, hatred, and war. These things keep us from being able to obtain the peace we desire. It seems like humanity can't learn anything from the wars that are fought. This is probably one of the social problems created by war mentioned in the quote. This quote means a lot to me, because I strongly agree with Dr. King's message of settling humanity's problems and differences without the need to use armed forces. There's no point to it all, in the end, if we're just going to end up killing each other off.
"Nevertheless, I am convinced that adhering to standards strengthens those who do, and isolates- and weakens- those who don't." - Obama in his Nobel Prize acceptance speech.
ReplyDeleteI have never thought about this concept before, but it makes sense if you think about it in reverse. If you think of anarchy, what do you envision? Chaos, masses of people storming the streets in riots. Rules are broken, and the police have no power. If rules and guidelines are set, and people follow them, they will become stronger and more deeply engraved in a society as numbers increase. The growth of those that follow these rules would grow exponentially with their influence, and that is what can keep a society intact.
"It weren’t too loo long before I seen something in me, had changed. A bitter seed was planted inside of me. And I just didn’t feel so accepting anymore." -The Help
ReplyDeleteWhen I read The Help, by Kathryn Stockett a few years ago this quote really stuck out to me and watching the movie reminded me of it. I feel like this happens to so many people as they get older, and the values that they have had their entire lives seem like the only things that they can accept anymore, although times are changing and normal is different now than it was then. They can no longer accept even the most positive things that happen to them because their outlook is negative now and they expect so little from other people.
"The belief that peace is desirable is rarely enough to achieve it. Peace requires responsibility. Peace entails sacrifice." - Barack Obama, found in the Nobel Peace Prize Speech
ReplyDeleteThis quote stuck out to me because I believe in it and it is true. Everyone wants peace, but some don't want to put the effort in to achieve such. To achieve peace you need to take responsibility for your own actions. You need to realize that actions do have consequences. You also have to sacrifice some things to get what is needed. For example, if you are arguing with someone sometimes you need to drop it and make a sacrifice and say you are wrong in order to achieve peace with that person. This quote means a lot to me because I feel as if everyone should know this quote and pass it along, so maybe everyone could come together and peace could be achieved.
"That’s the thing about people who mean everything they say. They think everyone else does too."
ReplyDeleteThe Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
I chose this quote from The Kite Runner because I believe it is a very true statement. There are always people who never entirely mean what they say. However, there are others who would never say anything that they don’t mean, and who knows if that is a good or a bad thing? Sometimes these people “can’t take a joke,” but it has never occurred to me that some may always believe what others are saying when they are lying or joking around because they never do that themselves. I like this quote because it reminds you to be careful. There are many different ways of thinking in the world, and one should always be mindful of how others might receive what they are saying.
“Once you had put the pieces back together, even though you may look intact, you were never quite the same as you'd been before the fall.”
ReplyDelete― Jodi Picoult
This quote is from the book My Sisters Keeper. I really like this quote because I can relate it to my personal life. When bad things happen we find a way to get over them so we can live a content life. Even though bad times pass by, the memories are still there to haunt you. On the outside people act like everything is okay but inside there is still the pain from the bad experiences. Many people learn to fake a smile and move on.
ReplyDelete"Life is an awful, ugly place to not have a best friend. "
This quote is from Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen as well. When I read this quote I instantly thought of my current best friend. This quote is saying that without a best friend in life things would be so much harder to deal with. Having a best friend is like having another sister or brother. You can share endless memories with him or her and most of the time, best friends are forever. With a best friend by your side, life may not always be easy, but it is much easier.
ReplyDelete"No matter how much time has passed, these things still affect us and the world we live in. If you don't pay attention to the past, you'll never understand the future. It's all linked together."
This is a quote from the book Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen. I chose this quote because I can easily relate it to my life and because this is my favorite book. This quote to me, means that every event that happens in life is for a reason. When you think about it, it's like a puzzle and some events need to occur for others to happen. If there was no past, peoples lives would be very confusing because there would be no previous occurrences to explain things.
"I think a person's life is like a DVD. You can see the version everyone else sees, or you can choose the director's cut- the way he wanted you to see it, before everything else got in the way. There are menus, probably, so that you can start at the good spots and not have to relive the bad ones."- Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes pg 444.
ReplyDeletePersonally, I like this quote because I think that this is true to a point. A person can make you believe something about them that is not true. People can put on a mask, but they can have an ugly personality underneath. When you look back on life, you think about all of the good things, and you can take a moment to pause life, just like a DVD. I think that this phrase speaks volumes.
“We lose ourselves when we compromise the very ideals that we defend. And we honor those ideals by upholding them not just when it’s easy, but when it is hard.”
ReplyDelete–Barack Obama
I know that I am not the only person who is going to take a quote from Obama’s speech, but I thought that this quote was interesting. It applies not only to the topic he is discussing, but also to life in general. How can you impose peace on another nation when you can’t even maintain it yourself? Straying away from the concept and war and peace, hypocritical promises are something I look down upon. Why should I listen to someone telling me what to do if they can’t even do it themselves? Why should anyone? Authority in a field is gained by the ability to achieve what you teach, and an empty title means nothing to me, it has to be earned.
" So part of our challenge is reconciling these two seemingly irreconcilable truths that was is sometimes necessary and war is at some level an expression of human feelings."
ReplyDeleteThis quote I took rom Barack Obama's speech that we are analyzing in class. This quote first stuck out to me when I had read the speech through thoroughly. I feel he is completely right, we live in a society that has become used to such violence and killing that we have just started to find faults in it. however it really made me think that people die every day and we can't do anything about it, Everyone will die at some point and even if someone was killed for a senseless reason there would always be somebody that would believe that that person died for a reason and almost a necessity to save millions of other from being killed. I look as it as that Hitler was basically forced to kill himself in order to save several million jews.
"Someone who thinks death is the scariest thing doesn't know a thing about life." - Secret Life of Bees
ReplyDeleteThis quote stands out to me because it is very deep and made me think. It made me think that life isn't the easiest thing for some people, especially during a point in history where racial segregation was a big deal. That death was actually viewed as an escape from the horrible times. It also got me thinking that there are some pretty scary things in peoples lives, and another scary thing is moving on after something bad happens. When everything falls apart is also very scary.
"But I also know this: the belief that peace is desirable is rarely enough to achieve it. Peace requires responsibility. Peace entails sacrifice. ~A Just and Lasting Peace, Nobel Lecture, Oslo, 2009, President Barack Obama
ReplyDeleteI think that this quote means that in order to get certain things you have to loose other things. To have absolute peace in the world it will require sacrifice not just of things that you love and cherish but also of people that you love and cherish. Peace is something that everyone desires the problem is changing the things that you have been doing that cause stress or violence in our lives.
The older I get, the more I look at movies as a moving miracle. Audiences are harder to please if you're just giving them special effects, but they're easy to please if it's a good story. The audience is also the toughest critic - a good story that exists in your world may not be the first choice for an audience. So I just do the best I can.
ReplyDelete-Steven Spielberg
I like this quote because of how much I enjoy movies and Steven Spielberg’s work. I think that Spielberg is trying to say that anyone can create a movie with special effects and it doesn’t make a movie that good, because there are thousands of movies like that. But not many people can create a good story and turn it into something bigger. I think he also is trying to say that you got to do the best you can without worrying about what others think about you and your work.
"Sooner or later the people of the world will have to discover a way to live together in peace..."
ReplyDelete-Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
I like this quote because it sums up the outcome of how if people don't start to cooperate and get along then sooner or later this behavior could lead us to our end. It kind of has a subliminal threat. I can tell that Dr. King Jr. was trying to tell his audience that we can either live in peace with the other people of the world by compromise or we could slowly fade away isolated from others from refusal to change or accept others. This quote relates to me because compared to back then I can tell how the people took King's advice and changed and although there still are individuals whom hate and discriminate on others for being different; it's still a better world today in the U.S. than it was back then.
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
ReplyDeleteWhat this quote means to me is that men and women in the armed forces are ready and willing to lay down their lives in order to prevent the destruction of ours, and to make the nation a safe place from outside threats. The amount of courage that it takes to be able to do that is beyond comprehension. This courage is often overlooked and we do not often give these soldiers the recognition they deserve.
"I am mindful that only yesterday in Birmingham, Alabama, our children, crying out for brotherhood, were answered wit fire hoses, snarling dogs, and even death." - Acceptance Speech, Nobel Peace Prize, Oslo, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
ReplyDeleteRight away when i read this quote it made me think about movie and pictures I have seen when segregation was normal. It makes me sad to think about how horrible the world really was in the past. It hurts to even think that people were treated with such horrific ways. There should have even been a world like that. I'm glad MLKJ helped create a new world of peace.
ReplyDelete“If you never go out on that limb, you're missing a hell of a view.”
Jodi Picoult, Plain Truth
I found this quote when I was reading my first SSR book, and I thought it was powerful. There was an argument in the book about how the main character, Ellie, acted conservatively, and how she hated trying new things and putting herself out there. I understood where Ellie was coming from because I’m the same way to some extent; I’m not one to go out and try something new if I can choose not to. I feel as though that’s true for most people. People find comfort in knowing exactly what they’re up against every time they go out and do something, and that they won’t be surprised at how everything turns out since they know what’s coming. In a way, I actually think that can be a disadvantage. Being cautious all the time almost guarantees that those people will miss out on some awesome opportunities. With that said, I've realized that it’s important to be able to step outside of the box and take risks. After all, the “view” I’m missing may be more interesting than what I’m used to seeing.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.”
ReplyDelete― George Orwell, 1984
This quote speaks so much. It takes a lot to understand one person, you almost need to just listen to them and not talk so that you really see the emotions that they are exhibiting and the way they are feeling or acting. To understand a person takes a lot, that person needs to trust you and you need to trust that person, as well as yourself. Loving someone is different from understanding someone - you can love someone so much, but they may not understand you, or you may not understand them. This quote is so powerful and is one of my favorites.
"Whoever would live must fight. Whoever will not fight in this world of endless competition does not deserve to live." Hitler in "Mien Kampf"
ReplyDeleteThis quote means that people who are not willing to work at all do not deserve any rewards at all. Even though this quote is an extreme, i agree with it. If someone is not willing to work for what they want, then they do not deserve to get it. With the exception of occasional help, people need to work hard to get what they want and need.
I was reading a post by one of my favorite people ever, Daniel Howell, on the Huffington post where he's fairly new. Introducing himself, he wrote
ReplyDelete"Usually my videos are editing-heavy storytelling experiences in which I tell the whole world about my many, many flaws so they can point and laugh at me, but this week I thought I would do something a bit more relaxed and conversational." -Dan Howell http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dan-howell/men-vs-women-who-really-has-it-harder_b_2271533.html
This isn't a deep, inspirational quote in any possible sense, however I wanted to choose it for my phrase because I loved it so much. Howell really reflects the personalities of so many viewers and I think that's why his subscribers connect with him so well. His honest lack of self esteem is quite surprising, considering how popular he is. What makes it even better is that he's willing to share that insecurity with millions of people, making their days brighter.
"Yessir, I'll go straight to Coronado, that's were the big dogs eat. That's what I'm all about, I'm a half trained SEAL already. They sent me directly to boot camp." - Marcus Lutrell, Lone survivor
ReplyDeleteThis quote tells it plane and simple. No matter how good you think or know you are, people judge you on what they can see you do. Until you prove your abilities your words aren't worth anything to the people who grade them. You start at the bottom just like everyone else does, because in the system what you did in the past doesn't matter its what you can do in the here and now.
Its funny because we started from the bottom, now we're here.
Delete"Yankees 2013 Single Game tickets are on sale NOW!" - New York Yankees
ReplyDeletewell this quote is pretty much self explanatory, baseball season is back and this is the season im deeply in love with. i read this in a yankees magazine and i had to let the world know. The yankees may not have the best year due to their old age on the field but this quote should inspire everyone to go out get some tickets and show some positive support. i could tell you know im ready for this year and im definitely ready to show some respect for my team.
“When it's time to die, go ahead and die, and when it's time to live, live. Don't sort-of-maybe live, but live like you're going all out, like you're not afraid.” - Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees
ReplyDeleteI remember reading this quote sometime ago and it is really just something to live by. Life is too short to be filled with hate and anger; you must turn those negative vibes into positive ones. Don’t be afraid to be who you want to be, even if that means going all out. You only have one life to live so make it worth it.
"Aim higher in case you fall short.”
ReplyDeleteSuzanne Collins, Catching Fire
I read this quote in Suzanne Collins' book Catching Fire. To me, this quote means that you should always have a higher goal than what you set. Having goals is a main part of life, everyone has them. If you achieve one goal you're going to have another one that you're going to want to achieve, and the next one is going to be even bigger then the one prior. That is basically what this quote is explaining. You should always set high goals for yourself so you look forward to trying to reach something, and accomplishing something you worked hard for.
“I believe that even amid today's mortar bursts and whining bullets, there is still hope for a brighter tomorrow.” -MLK, Nobel Prize Acceptance Speech
ReplyDeleteI really like this quote. It stood out to me while reading Martin Luther King’s acceptance speech for the Noble Prize. The reason it stood out to me is because it made me think back to a quote that I loved from my childhood, “The sun will come out tomorrow,” from the movie Annie. Growing up I would think of this quote after a bad day and realize there is hope for a better tomorrow. To me, these quotes go hand in hand. They both mean that no matter how bad things are, tomorrow is a new day with new opportunities. MLK uses this quote to evoke a powerful reaction from the listener. It shows all his hope for equal rights to finally be achieved in a segregation-free tomorrow.
"No arrow flies straight. Theres nothing wrong with a crooked arrow. As long as it follows its own path, it will find its way"
ReplyDeleteI came across this quote while watching the movie Crooked Arrows. I chose this quote because in todays society everybody worries about being perfect, they think if you're not perfect at something you wont accomplish something. Nobodies perfect though everybody is a "crooked arrow" but if you stay on the right path and make the right choices you will be able to find your way to the goal you want to accomplish.
"Life is about being a versatile athlete and training in all realms of life."- Ray Lewis
ReplyDeleteI came across this quote while watching an interview with Ray Lewis. I chose this quote because as an athlete i feel that myself and all other athletes should live their lives with this quote in mind. Many athletes only focus on training at there sport and forget about all the other things in life that they should try to improve. The true meaning of a versatile athlete is somebody that can be an impact on the field and off the field. Once somebody can constantly improve themselves in every aspect of life they can really be a versatile athlete.
“There are no random acts...We are all connected...You can no more separate one life from another than you can separate a breeze from the wind...” - Mitch Albom
ReplyDeleteI came across this quote when I was reading “The Five People You Meet in Heaven” by Mitch Albom. I chose this quote because it truly made me stop and think about the world and how all of its inhabitants are most likely connected in one way or another. I interpret this quote to mean that everything you do, no matter how small or random or insignificant it may seem, has some sort of effect on someone else in the world at some point in time. Essentially, everyones life is so interconnected to others’ lives that you could not isolate it from the rest any easier than you could take away the breeze from the wind. The breeze basically is the wind, so if you take that away, then you are left with almost nothing. The wind represents everyones’ lives, and the breeze represents the impact that each person’s actions can have. In relation to me, this quote has made me want to pause and take a few extra seconds before I make a decision, no matter how unimportant it may seem. Because who knows, we could be completely altering someone else’s life and not even know it.
“You make yourself strong because it’s expected of you. You become confident because someone beside you is unsure. You turn into the person others need you to be.” - Vanishing Acts By Jodi Piccoult
ReplyDeleteI really like this quote because it can perfectly explain certain situations that many people are confronted with during their lifetimes. When a person is confronted with a difficult situation, they have two choices. Their first choice is to ignore it and deal with it later and the second choice is to rise to the occasion and deal with it head on. Some are more capable of facing things head on than others. Of course different situations call for different responses but we are expected to be strong no matter what we are going through and we are taught to always deal with our problems head on. We are taught to always be confident in ourselves and to do what we think is best for not only ourselves but for others as well.
“ …and I remember thinking that life couldn’t get any better.” – Nicholas Sparks, The Choice
ReplyDeleteI am currently reading The Choice by Nicholas Sparks, and I just came across this quote. During this part of the book, one of the main characters is talking about his high school days, and how one night when he was just hanging out with friends was one of the best moments of his life. The reason I choose it is because it really got me thinking about life and how quickly time goes by. We are young and have the world at our fingertips, so we have to appreciate every moment when we are just simply enjoying ourselves. So one day when we look back on our lives we can think the same thing as the quote, and how in those moments life could not have gotten much better.
"I barely got out the last few words. I started to cry, and once I got started I couldn't stop for twenty minutes. Then I got so cold, my teeth chattered. I couldn't believe I was never going to see Peter again."
ReplyDeleteI started reading "The Beach House" by James Patterson a few days ago, and I got hooked right away. I don't know the reason, but I just love Patterson's thrillers. Anyways, I stumbled upon this quote and it really stood out to me. I can't really make a connection to the main character, Jack, because none of my close family members have passed away. KNOCK ON WOOD. But I know I would have the same reaction Jack had if a close family member died. It would be so heartbreaking. I probably would drop a lot things and just stay home all depressed and such. Death just gets me very upset, which is why I chose this quote.
"I believe that peace is unstable where citizens are denied the right to speak freely or worship as they please;chose their own leaders or assemble without fear".- Barrack Obama
ReplyDeleteI found this quote in Obamas nobel peace prize speech. i chose this quote because it presented itself differently then all the others. he is talking about the fundamentals of having and preserving peace. he goes on to state how you also need security and opportunity. his quote was entirely true and you can see this in many nations where peace is not stable such as; North Korea and Iran. in both of these countries they dont have many rights and they live amongst fear preventing them from being more part of a global economy and having better political interactions with other countries.
'' I've been in this room eight years, Clarice. I know they will never let me out while I'm alive. What I want is a view. I want a window where I can see a tree, or even water." - doctor Lecter
ReplyDeleteI'm reading Silence Of The Lambs from Thomas harris's series about Hannibal Lecter and i choose this quote because it shows the human aspect of a serial killer. it shows that under all that evil there is some kindness and good.
-matt lidonnici
'' Starling knew Lecter was watching her from the darkness."
ReplyDeleteThis quote is from Silence of the Lambs and its not a extravagant quote but I felt that is was a sentence that built up suspense and fear. The fact the Starling can see a mass killer but has a feeling that he is watching her is nerve racking for her and the reader. It also makes the reader what Lecter will say or do next.
-Matt Lidonnici
"I refuse to accept the idea that the 'isness' of the man's present nature makes him morally incapable of reaching up for the eternal 'oughtness' that forever confronts him." -MLK
ReplyDeleteI chose this quote because everything around us including media,friends,etc can pressure us to conforming to the what they deem acceptable. That isn't always the right decision and we dont always support those choices but because something is todays norm everybody decides to do it. We need to get away from everybody the present state of mind that just because everybody does something that it is right. People need to begin to make their decisions off what they think is right the 'oughtness' and not what everybody else thinks is right the 'isness'
"We lose ourselves when we compromise the very ideals that we fight to defend." -Barack Obama
ReplyDeleteThis quote spoke to me because it not only refers to the beliefs of our country, but every individual. You cannot tell others to believe in something that you do not (hence being hypocritical). We cannot attain peace by compromising peace, or fight fire with fire. Obama is trying to say that we can't strive for our goals by losing our values along the way. Giving up our beliefs in order to reach success would result in a hollow achievement, that doesn't accomplish anything.
"He fell in October 1918, on a day that was so quiet and still on the whole front, that the army report confined itself to the single sentence: All quiet on the Western Front." - All Quiet On The Western Front. By Erich Maria Remarque.
ReplyDeleteI found this quote as i finished All Quiet on The Western front. This quote intrigued me because he was describing how unreal it felt that the war was over after the many years of fighting. The quote makes you feel like not only the book is over but the war is over for you because the book grabs you into the war.