Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Step it Up!!





O.K. so we're going to continue with what we've begun.  Please . . . really Step it Up!  Include a quote that you have come across in your readings, what made you choose it?  What does it mean to you?   From here on out, submit a turn of a phrase that you've found through something that you've read.  It does not have to be nearly as long as the quote I've pulled.  But I want you to think about what you're reading.  How is it phrased?  What words are thrown together that make something completely new and unique?   Don't forget to cite the author and where you found it.  Have fun paying attention to what you read!!!

I've included my own turn of a phrase taken from Ernest Hemingway when he introduced his novel The Sun Also Rises with this biblical quote from Ecclesiastes.   This quote has always intrigued me . . . you know, the whole insignificance, the smallness of our lives in comparison to the vastness of the universe.  But yet, our lives and the daily minutia of it is what I find so profoundly beautiful.  I found this quote when I was about 18 years old and have carried it around ever since.  For some reason it has always comforted me.  Do you find inspiration and comfort in this passage or does it evoke a different feeling?  (It's a rhetorical question -- I'm curious, but you don't have to answer!!)
"One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh; but the earth abideth forever. The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down,and hasteth to the place where he arose. The wind goeth toward thesouth, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually,and the wind returneth again according to his circuits.  All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again."       -Ecclesiastes



59 comments:

  1. “The important events of a person’s life are the products of chains of highly improbable occurrence.” – “Traub’s Law,” Joseph Traub

    Although this quote is originally from “Traub’s Law,” I read it in my psychology textbook. This quote was placed at a point in the textbook where they were referring to how small events can change a person’s whole adult life. This quote made me realize how little control we have over our future. On the positive side of this quote, it tells me that I should worry less (but not, not at all) about my future, as it could be a “highly improbable occurrence” that changes my life. However, it also shows that we are at the ‘mercy’ of fate and that a single unfortunate event could drastically change our lives. This quote allowed me to think deeply, which is why I chose it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Do remember, though, that sometimes the people you oppress become mightier than you would like.”
    Veronica Roth, Insurgent
    I came across this quote while reading Insurgent. I chose the quote because it is very true and I have seen it happen in my life. Sometimes, when you don’t want someone else to succeed or do something, you try to oppress him or her so they can’t achieve. However, this can backfire. In some cases, people’s oppression gives them a reason to get back up and try harder, because they want to show people that they cannot be stopped. That is one of the reasons why totalitarian governments don’t always succeed. People strive to prove others wrong and get what they want, and it is even easier to do so when you have the help of others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...; and perhaps second-hand cares, like second-hand clothes come easily off and on."
    -A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (page 16)

    This quote stuck out at me a lot because it's cleverly written and so true. I've never heard anyone compare feelings to something so tangible, like clothes. This quote is very honest in the fact that it's easy to feel little about things, it saves from caring to much. Only if you let yourself become really emotionally involved, then it's much harder to take those feelings away. When you have little feelings, or generic feelings for certain things, it's much easier to hold back and not be as affected. You can just simply "take them off".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Freesia FerrantinoMarch 19, 2013 at 5:03 PM

    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

    I am now reading a biography on good 'ol Albert Einstein, and that is where I got that quote. This quote has tremendous meaning to me, and it should have a tremendous meaning to the whole world. to paraphrase, he is saying that everyone is wonderful in their own way, and that if you judge them on what they are definitely not good at, like a fish and climbing a tree, then they will never see the value in themselves. This is a very uplifting quote, because it poses the statement that everyone is good at something, you just need to see it in the right light to be able to appreciate it correctly. Fish are not good at climbing trees; that's just not what they are made for. You need to find the thing that you are made for, and then you will finally have peace in yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "But better to get hurt by the truth than comforted with a lie." -Kite Runner
    I chose this because it's a memorable quote that many people are familiar with and can relate to. Lying to someone in an attempt to avoid hurting their feelings or a greater conflict isn't the best decision although we've all probably been in this situation at one point or another. At times we think that lying will protect someone's feelings, but we can tend to forget that it'll only cause them more pain when they find out the truth. Sometimes we only focus on ourselves for our own benefit, but ignore the fact that once someone finds out the truth, all trust can be broken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. “It's hard to decide who's truly brilliant; it's easier to see who's driven, which in the long run may be more important.” Congo, Michael Crichton

    I found this quote while reading Congo. I think that it means that a person who has the drive to achieve their goals will be better off than the person who is brilliant. I think that the person who has drive will develop a work ethic, and the person who is brilliant won't develop that some work ethic. In the end the person who has drive will come out on top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope,it was the winter of despair.” -Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens

    For me, this quote means, that in every situation, there are two sides. There is a positive side and a negative side. Whichever side you stand on shows the kind of person you are. Although you have freedom to choose whichever you want, I think choosing to try and be positive every once and a while will help you out better in the long run. When your think positive, none of the little stupid negativities really get to you; you are able to handle them easily and move forward. Once you begin to see the light of the situation more and more, maybe the dark side will become basically invisible. When this happens, you know you've reached happiness. When Charles Dickens opened the book with this, it made me think that we all have a path to choose in life. Our future depends on which path we choose. Although what I said doesn't really wrap into the meaning of the quote in this book, this is what the meaning means to me. It means everyone has the choice to choose the life they are going to live.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

    This was the inscription on a tombstone in my old SSR book, Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. In the chapter, Billy Pilgrim’s friend has died in the war and they’re discussing his passing. It’s a bit of a morose topic, but the quote really gets you thinking about what happens when someone dies and how it feels. Not to get too deep, but in my opinion, I’d like to experience exactly what the quote states. I can’t imagine how anyone would actually know how it feels, but it’s very weird to wonder about. The quote is also beautifully written and is almost poetic to say out loud. It caught my eye right away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. “Two roads diverged in a wood, and I- I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.” The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

    This quote is from one of my all time favorite pomes by one of my all time favorite poets. I love this quote because it kind of represents me and the way I look at life. There are always two paths you can take, the one that everyone takes or your own path. I want to take my own path. I don’t want to be like anyone else and I want to stand out. If I act like everyone else and do what everyone else is doing then there is no way that I can make a difference in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "It's a strange thing, but when you are dreading something, and would give anything to slow down time, it has a disobliging habit of speeding up."

    This quote is from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling. I haven't read this book in so long, but I was helping a kid I babysit read it, when I came across this quote. I'm the type of person that worries about every little thing and this quote really sums up this feeling perfectly for me. Even when the last thing you want to do is worry, sometimes you can't help it. Then you find yourself procrastinating which only speeds up the time you have left and then you're faced with whatever it is that you're dreading, but I've found the more your worry, the worse it becomes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "You don’t know what goes on in anyone’s life but your own. And when you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re not messing with just that part. Unfortunately, you can’t be that precise and selective." - Thirteen Reasons Why By: Jay Asher

    I was reading this book for self select last month. I really like this quote ever since I cam across it. I can relate to this quote a lot. This quote means to me that you can't just mess with anyones life. Once you do, you may think twice about it, but it does mess up not just that one part, but it messes with their emotions and feelings. It messes with everything. You can't be the judge of what hurts someone or not, it's not your decision. When you meet someone, you only know their name and not their life story. Basically, don't judge someone so quickly. You may think you have a clue, but in reality you only know a little bit. I like the last sentence of the quote. I feel like the author added a little bit of attitude to the quote.

    ReplyDelete
  12. “Silence is so freaking loud”
    ― Sarah Dessen, Just Listen
    I pulled this quote out of the book listed above because it jumped out at me. I chose this quote because I can really relate it to my personal life and the people around me as well. This quote to me is saying that even though silence is supposed to be quiet, it can be overwhelming and hard to deal with. When people are alone all they hear is silence and after a while it could be rough to deal with. This quote also reminds me of the disorder called schizophrenia. When people are schizophrenic they tend to hear things in their mind and the silence to them because chaos. When I read this quote I start to think that silence isn't as quiet as people think.

    ReplyDelete

  13. “Don't waste your time on obvious things. Write about what disturbs you; particularly if it seems to bother no one else.”

    The Help, Kathryn Stockett

    I read this quote when I was reading one of my SSR books, and I liked it a lot. Basically, I thought the quote was expressing the significance of individuality and how important our ideas are, even if no one else thinks so. I took the quote as a reminder to be original, and not to be afraid of being unique. I think that’s something everyone should remind themselves of, especially kids my age. It’s easy to try and “fit in” and to go along with what everyone else is saying and doing. Honestly, I think we lose ourselves a little every time we do that. We should be trying to stand out instead, disregarding what everyone else thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. “There were a billion lights out there on the horizon and I knew that all of them put together weren't enough to light the darkness in the hearts of some men.”
    ― Michael Connelly, The Scarecrow

    I read this quote in The Scarecrow and it interested me. There is a lot good in the world but some people are so full of evil and hate that there is no cure for them. It is good to believe that everyone can be saved and no wrong is forever, but there are some people out there who are so cruel and have committed such atrocities that there is no redemption. It is sad that we live in a world like this but there is no escaping the harrowing truth of it; no amount of good will ever quench the unsatisfiable evil that resides within an evil few.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Caraiosa WilliamsonMarch 21, 2013 at 7:25 PM

    "A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other." -A Tale of Two Cities

    This quote is in the beginning of the book A Tale of Two Cities. This quote really stood out to me with the way the words were pieced together. Charles Dickens was reminding us that everyone is new to us, everyone has a past that can be rather interesting. I think that he was trying to remind us while reading that the people in the book may not be who they say they are. Everyone at this time is afraid of one another. With us he is not telling us to be afraid, just to be on guard.

    ReplyDelete
  16. “Bring me all of your dreams, you dreamer. Bring me all of your heart melodies that I may wrap them in a blue cloud-cloth away from the too-rough fingers of the world.” –Langston Hughes

    I found this poem on a decorative piece of paper on my bookshelf last weekend, and it’s stayed in the back of my mind ever since. In 8th grade we had to go around to our teachers and recite a memorized poem that we were assigned in English. This was mine and I can still remember it to this day. I love the simplicity of the phrase and how you have to pause in certain spots for it to sound right. I think it’s basically stating how reality can be so much harsher than in our dreams and we need to protect them, in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. “Just because you keep something a secret doesn't mean it never happened, no matter how much you want that to be true.” -Jodi Piccoult, Vanishing Acts

    When I was reading this quote jumped out at me because I found it to be very meaningful and memorable. This quote forces you to rethink the choices you make each and everyday and if they were smart one. It makes us more aware that the things we do are permanent and will never be erased. Everyone has a secret that they do not care to share with people. Everyone has done something they aren’t proud of. Everyone has a moment from their past that they wish they could forget or tell themselves that it never happened. Everyone has done something stupid without thinking about the consequences. Everyone makes mistakes but with that being said they don’t just disappear no matter how much you want them to. We have to be much more conscious of what we do. We all need to think before we act and speak. Just because you are the only person that knows doesn’t mean that it can just go away.

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Why is it so easy for people to point a finger at someone else?" "People need a scapegoat," he said.~ Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes, Page 248

    I came across this quote while I was reading my self select book. This stuck with me because it makes you think about how people can be real monsters of it means that they get out of trouble. People can betray each other so easily sometimes, it scares me. It takes so little for people to show their true colors and a lot of times, their colors aren't pretty at all. I like how it is written plain and simple, but it has a strong message beneath it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "If you chase two rabbits, both will escape"-John Passaro,6 Minutes Wrestling with Life

    I came across this book while reading a book from a fellow Long Islander John Passaro. It stuck out and caught my attention because I've been thinking about goals i havent been able to reach yet. I realized i have reached these goals because I've been trying to complete multiple goals when i should be focusing on one thing at a time. In order for you to complete a difficult task you have to invest all your effort on that one goal so you can finally complete it, if not all your goals will "escape".

    ReplyDelete
  20. “...nothing wonderful lasted forever. Joy was as fleeting as a shooting star that crossed the evening sky, ready to blink out at any moment.”
    ― Nicholas Sparks, Safe Haven

    While reading this book this quote really stood out to me. It makes me think that everything can be going right in your life and at any moment something bad could happen. I feel that I live my life by this quote. For me I think that this quote means live in the moment. You have to live every moment of your life like it could be your last. You have to enjoy things while you have them and you can't dwell on the negative things in life. Although some people may be having a hard time in their lives' instead of focusing on that one thing you can focus on all the good things that are going on around you. By doing this I believe that there is more happiness in life. I have learned to take what I can get in life and no matter how fast it comes at me and how quickly it can leave me. Always have a positive attitude about the things that come and go.

    ReplyDelete
  21. "I just said god never made one mistake, he's never made one mistake"-Ray Lewis

    I came across this quote in the book "Ray Lewis: An Unauthorized Biography" It stuck out to me because in this school i always here people complaining about how bad things are going in their life when it really isn't that bad. If you just realized that what happens is meant to happen then you can live a much happier life. All the challenges you overcome have a positive effect on your life, all you can do is hope for the best and stay positive when things go bad.

    ReplyDelete
  22. "The time was to come, when that wine too would be spilled on the street-stones, and when the stain of it would be red upon many there."

    I found this quote while i was reading the book a Tale Of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. It stuck out to me when i was reading through the book because i could make several connections to it. When they talk about the wine on the street stones and how it would be on many people there he is foreshadowing the events that will happen in the French Revolution and how many will die. another more logical connection and conclusion on the quote is that the all ravaged for the wine probably because they are starving too which was also described in the book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. “We are just two people. Not that much separates us. Not nearly as much as I’d thought.”
    I came across this quote when reading The Help. I really liked how simple yet powerful this statement was in the book. It tied in with the theme of racism and equality perfectly and showed how people should have thought during this time, and now, but still don’t. We are all just people. Not one of us can truly say there is something about us that puts us above the rest of mankind. WE are all just people trying to get along in life and make the best of it. And some people think we are all exponentially different, but if you look at humans as a whole we are all people on this Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  24. "Archaeology is the peeping Tom of the sciences. It is the sandbox of men who care not where they are going; they merely want to know where everyone else has been." - Jim Bishop

    This quote really stands out to me because I want to become an archaeologist when I grow up, and this statement pretty much sums up Archaeology. You want to bring the past to the present, to unearth primitive tools and artifacts to shed a light on history of time ago. This is something im really looking forward to doing, and hope i can make a mark on history by uncovering something lost a long time ago and can make some kind of impact.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Turn a Phrase #2

    “Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.”

    I found this quote while reading Divergent by Veronica Roth. it stuck out to me because it is true and has a huge connection with the book which helped the quote stick out so well. you cant become fearless but you can learn how to control your emotions. the book has alot to do with the main character controlling her fear thorough many simulations but i dont want to spoil to much about the book. but once you can control your fear and handle it you can set out to do anything and nothing can stop you. that is how i interpreted my quote which helped change my opinions on conquering fears and emotions you dont want to have.

    ReplyDelete
  26. "We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds... We shall fight in the fields and in the streets... We shall never surrender." - Winston Churchill

    I found this quote while reading my global textbook. As I was reading for homework, I found this quoted from one of Churchill's speeches. I found it to be a very powerful quote because of what he was saying. He was saying that he would not let Britain give in to Germany and that they would fight to the death. He no longer wanted Britain to appease Hitler and he did not want Britain to fall to Germany. To me, this is an important quote. It encourages standing up to agressors rather than giving into their demands. It could be applied to something as simple as the smallest kid in school standing up to the school bully who just took his lunch money.

    ReplyDelete
  27. "There is nothing perfect...only life." -Susan Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees

    I remember this quote from my SSR book The Secret Life of Bees, and it stood out to me. I was a little confused, as I was trying to take this very literally. But after a little while of contemplating it, I thought that maybe what Susan meant here is that life is perfect because it's not. Nothing in the world is perfect, not people, not nature, nothing. So when everything, flaws and all is thrown together than everything becomes perfect. From reading and interpreting this quote, I have decided that life is perfect because not everything in it is.

    ReplyDelete
  28. “It may be unfair, but what happens in a few days, but what happens in a few days, sometimes even a single day, can change the course of a whole lifetime…”-Khaled Hosseini, The Kite Runner

    I chose this quote because I feel everyone has this feeling and thought in his or her head at one point or another. Everyone has experienced this and I know that my parents have told me this too. Life will always be unfair and you can’t change that. The best decision is to just go with it and go wherever life may take you. If you worry about all of the things that aren’t fair in life, you will be the unhappiest person ever and will waste your life away. Some people should take a step back and evaluate their lives. This quote means a lot to me because upsetting things have happened in my life but just because they have happened doesn’t mean I can’t move on and be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  29. “People have an annoying habit of remembering things they shouldn't.”
    Christopher Paollini, Eragon

    I chose this quote not only because it was from an excellent book series, but because in one sentenced it summarized a source of many inconveniences for both me and other people. People tend to dwell on things and remember way after they happened this happens all the time with things that weigh on you conscience, it tends to effect their moods badly. For me it is usually that people see things they shouldn't have and cling on to them like secrets or safe numbers, they know its not right but they continue to hold onto it just in case. People generally like to remember anything to cause inconvenience to other people. This is one of the most annoying things to happen and can cause a lot of stress.

    ReplyDelete
  30. “Everyone has a past, but that's just it-it's in the past. You can learn from it, but you can't change it.” ― Nicholas Sparks, Safe Haven

    I came across this quote while reading Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks. It really stuck out to me because I constantly think about the message behind this quote. Everyone makes mistakes, some more than others, but all you can do it learn from them and move on. Think of each mistake and regret you make as a life lesson and then use that knowledge you have acquired from it to not make the same mistake again. To me this quote means do not dwell on the past but use the knowledge from your past to make yourself a better future. As the author mentions, you cannot change your past, so why waste your time thinking about it when you can live in the present. This quote pertains to me on a personal level because I myself have made many mistakes throughout my life that sometimes I wish I could change. I then realize I would not be the same person I am today if I did not make those mistakes. I think this quote is positive because it teaches you that you can turn the negatives in life into a positive lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  31. “You have peace,” the old woman said, “when you make it with yourself.” - Mitch Albom


    I came across this quote when I was reading Albom’s novel, The Five People you Meet in Heaven. I chose this quote because i was very intrigued by the fact that the pure simplicity of it is what makes it so accurate and intuitive. In my opinion, this quote means that you are the captain, the director, the president of your own life. You have to take control of your own life and be responsible for its course. You can only be truly happy and at peace with yourself when you can accept yourself for who you are. Real peace doesn’t stem from just an agreement with someone, it comes from you being one with yourself and accepting your decisions and your life. Having peace with yourself is without a doubt one of the most important things to have in regard one’s prosperity and success in society.

    ReplyDelete
  32. “A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other.” – A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens

    I recall trying to interpret this quote while reading our assigned book A Tale of Two Cities, and I chose this because I think it means that none of us really know much about each other. No matter how close we are to someone; maybe we don’t really know what he or she has been through in the past. It’s weird to think about but we’re all such mysterious people to one another.

    ReplyDelete
  33. "She was the golden thread that united him to a Past beyond his misery, and to a Present beyond his misery: and the sound of her voice, the light of her face, the touch of her hand, had a strong beneficial influence with him almost always."

    Lucie becomes a conduit for Doctor Manette’s own experiences. Deprived of his life in prison, he begins to live through her. She resembles her mother so much that her father is shocked of the resemblance. Lucie helps Dr. Minnette escape to London. This quote stand out because it was a really important event in the story when Lucie saw her father again after 18 years of thinking he was dead. "Golden thread" refers to Dr. Minnette wife's hair that was on his sweater when he went into prison. It helped Mr. Minnette keep somewhat sane for a while. The threads are symbolic for hope. hope that Dr. Minnette had of seing his daughter again one day.

    ReplyDelete
  34. “…Valuing knowledge above all else results in a lust for power, and that leads men into dark and empty places."


    This is a quote from Divergent by Veronica Roth. I picked it because I've never heard anyone say anything like it before. It makes sense because knowledge is so limitless and so vast. It would literally be impossible to know EVERYTHING in a world where new information is being created quicker than it is discovered. I think that is what drives a lot of men to power, because they think a position of power will grant them more information.

    ReplyDelete
  35. "We have nothing to fear but fear itself"
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

    I came across this quote in social studies class a couple of days ago. I really value it because it means that we should not be afraid of anything. We as humans can take on anything, I chose this quote because I feel very strongly about not fearing anything and taking risks in life, Living life to its fullest intentions and not being afraid of anything. This may be a oft-used quote, however it does ring absolutely true, If you go through life being constantly timid, you will never be able to reach your full potential.

    ReplyDelete
  36. "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times"
    - A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens

    This quote means exactly what it says. It is the best of times while also the worst. People are having the times of their lives, but there is a revolution going on. I chose this quote because it is such a simple quote but it means a lot. It is very straight forward with what it is saying, and so it is very easy to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  37. "Silence is Holy. It draws people closer together. Because those who are only comfortable with each other, can sit without speaking." Safe Haven: Nicholas Sparks

    I came across this book a few weeks ago while reading Safe Haven, by Nicholas Sparks. It really stuck in my mind because if someone can sit in silence without feeling the need to begin a conversation makes it clear that those people feel confortable around the other person. Conversing involves thought, with a person you don't need to think or try to impress displays the comfortability of the two people. This quote especially pertains to me because of the personal connection. With my family and my closest friends, there is no need to speak around one another.

    ReplyDelete
  38. "If we don't change the direction we are headed, we will end up where we're going." - Jodi Picoult, 19 minutes

    I came across this quote when reading 19 minutes by Jodi Picoult. It stuck out to me because it can apply to anything in life. Whether it is school, or family it shows that if you don't try to change your life then its never going to change and continue as it always does. In school for example if you don't study and put time into your work, your grades aren't going to change and you will just continue as things have always been.

    ReplyDelete
  39. “People always say that, when you love someone, nothing in the world matters. But that's not true, is it? You know, and I know, that when you love someone, everything in the world matters a little bit more.” Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult.

    I saw this quote in the book Handle With Care. It caught my attention as I read into it and I completely agree with the meaning of this statement. Picoult is saying that there is sometimes a miscomprehension that when you love someone, the rest of the world fades away. But in reality, it can be the exact opposite. When you love a person, you will do anything in your power to keep them safe and protect them. Therefore, the world around us matters very much. We do not block out everything and everyone, rather yet become engrossed in our worlds trying to fight so hard for that special person. If you love a person, you will do anything for them and try to give them a better life and most of the time that requires diving into the world rather then drowning it out by the means of our own selfishness.

    ReplyDelete
  40. "That is my principal objection to life, I think: It's too easy, when alive, to make perfectly horrible mistakes."

    I found this quote while ready a children's book to a pre-k class. I do not remember the name of the book but I remember this quote. It stuck out to me because of the truth behind it. It is very hard in life to make good choices because sometimes the bad choices are either easier or more fun to make. Therefore it is a lot easier to make bad mistakes because there are so many of them that you could make. I love this quote a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. “Monsignor Scanlon recounted how, at sixteen years of age, John Samuel Sanders Mullen left Ireland and traveled alone to New York City, where he found a spot with relatives in an already crowded Hell’s Kitchen tenement. Macklin and my grandmother couldn’t make it across for another three years, and by then my father had dropped out of school and apprenticed himself to a carpenter. Even after his parents arrived, he was the family’s only means of support for several years – ‘a sixteen-year-old boy working eighty hour weeks. Can you imagine?’ asked the monsignor.”

    I pulled this quote from “The Beach House” by James Patterson (again…). I chose this quote because I was able to make a family connection. Just like Jack’s father, my grandmother came to the U.S. She was the daughter of a shoemaker and a seamstress. At the age of 12 years old, my grandmother’s father passed away due to a illness in the liver. My grandmother had to work very hard to, per say, “bring home the bacon” because her mother made up to 3 cents a day working in the sewing factory. So my grandmother began taking work as a secretary and became her school’s treasurer and secretary. I just thought that this was a very interesting quote since I could relate a family story to it.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Victoria StrippoliMarch 23, 2013 at 5:38 PM

    “It must require bravery to be honest all the time.” –Veronica Roth, Divergent

    Here is another quote that really caught my eye while I was reading Divergent last month. I choose this quote because it really got me thinking. Being brave does not always mean being strong or standing up to someone. You need bravery to honest, and that is probably the hardest bravery people have to find sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  43. "A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other." A Tale of Two Cities; Charles Dickens

    This quote really stuck me when I was reading A Tale of Two Cities. I don't really get this book, but I did thoroughly understand this quote. There is something about the human race that causes people to ponder and such, because one person can hold so much mystery. We were all made to be questioned, we are judged everyday, and humans confuse each other. WE ask ourselves why one person is like that and so on and so forth. This quote really stuck out at me.

    ReplyDelete
  44. “Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other.” -John Steinbeck, Of Mice and Men
    I came across this quote while reading Of Mice and Men. I chose this quote because even though obviously everyone is not scared of each other it made me think of some people, people that are shy and are always scared to meet knew people. The quote just made me think of a different way to look at relationships in general. It gave me a knew perspective on things. To me this quote means that not everyone is brave and not everyone is willing to meet knew people in the world. Some people just want to stay within their cliche and never explore new branches of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  45. "In nineteen minutes, you can mow the front lawn, color your hair, watch a third of a hockey game. In nineteen minutes you can bake scones or get a tooth filled by a dentist; you can fold laundry for a family of five...." "In nineteen minutes, you can stop the world, or you can just jump off it. In nineteen minutes, you can get revenge."
    - Jodi Picoult, "Nineteen Minutes"
    This quote is from a book I recently read by the author above. I chose this quote because it reminded me of the mentality I've been having lately. I have been cramming so many activities into a small time frame and I feel like I can get so many things accomplished in "nineteen minutes". This quote has a positive effect on me because it shows that you can get tons of things accomplished if you stay determined and on track. The quote above is also hinting that a lot can happen in a short amount of time, sometimes in seconds. After reading this quote, it made me feel like I should take advantage of all the time I have!

    ReplyDelete
  46. The Road goes ever on and on
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can,
    Pursuing it with eager feet,
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say.
    - The Fellowship of the Ring by: J.R.R. Tolkien
    This quote means that life has just begun. The road may look long ahead but it the end comes faster than you think. You should stop worrying about what's ahead, stop looking back, and live your own life to the fullest and in the moment. The end eventually comes for all but what you did in your lifetime makes you and individual and made your life worth living. This quote makes me remember to forgive and forget, let the past go, and accomplish my goals.

    ReplyDelete
  47. "Detestation of the high is involuntary homage of the low"- The Marquis, Tale of Two Cities

    This quote is when The Marqui is explaining to his nephew, Darnay, how its good that the people hate his family (aristocracy). The quote translates to "hatred of the rich is involuntary jealousy of the poor." This means that its a good thing that the peasants (majority) hates the aristocracy (rich) because it shows that they're jealous and that they want them gone. The Marquis sees the people's hatred as a compliment more than a worry or insult. He has a completely different view than Darnay who sees it as his family just being detested. This quote can relate to today on how we see things. When ever I see someone really wealthy and happy I envy them and sometimes feel hostile towards them. It's probably human nature to want what others have, especially when you yourself don't.

    ReplyDelete
  48. "But I will get no further that way' for that is the fate of all of us; if Kemmerich's leg had been six inches to the right: if Haie Westhus had bent his back three inches further forward......."- Paul, All quiet on the Western front.

    This quote caught my attention because Paul realizes how unlucky life is during the war. He just witnessed an enemy solider in the same trench as him die and he quickly feels sympathy. But when he thinks more he thinks the same of his friends that could still be alive if they were lucky. Throughout the book he thought life was nice and it did it's course but at this point of the book, he gets upset and realizes how unfair life can be.

    ReplyDelete
  49. "The very beating of your heart has meaning and purpose. Your actions have value far greater than silver or gold. Your life ... And what you do with it today ... MATTERS FOREVER."

    I found this quote in the book I recently read for a public speaking speech, “The Butterfly Effect” by Andy Andrews. My mom actually recommended me to read this after we got in an argument about my grades, and how they affect a huge part of my life. I chose this quote because it is basically the point my mom wanted to infuse in my mind. The decisions I make each and everyday, may or may not affect my future, so I must always be smart with what I choose to do. This is a very powerful statement to me, and it has made me realize that I need to work harder with everything I do in school, in sports, and the other things I attempt to perform well in.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Time heals what reason cannot - Seneca

    I came across this quote while reading a book about yoga. Sometimes you can't explain or give reason as to why something happens. Sometimes, "time" can enlighten and heal certain situations. If you give a situation time eventually it will mend back together what some people can't do themselves. Some people don't have reason to some of their actions and don't think before they do it; however if you think before you speak it allows time to think rationally.

    ( didn't post the first time )

    ReplyDelete
  51. “What see you in my face,” asked the physician, “that you look at it so earnestly?”
    “Something that would make me weep, if there were any tears bitter enough for it,” answered she. The Scarlet Letter, said by Hester.

    Ok we both know I did not like this book at all. To be honest, I was spark noting the book at this point, and I've had a screen shot of this part on my computer for quite some time. On the spark note side it says "I see something that would make me weep is tears were bitter enough for sadness." I just love how empowered Hester is at this point, standing up for everything she believes in and saying that this is no matter to cry about. She has been through everything and back and knows that crying should be saved for only important things. She realizes this and states he does not deserve her tears. And for this i love this quote. I believe in all the strong women out there in the world, and there is a piece of strong in all of us women alike. This country has been through so much to get an increase in woman's status, and I will forever be thankful because if it weren't for the empowered in the past, i would never be able to be what i aspire to be in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Ronald Speirs: The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends upon it.
    ― Stephen E. Ambrose, Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler’s Eagle’s Nest

    In this scene Pvt. Albert Blithe went into shock during a small fight scene and got scared and stopped following his orders. Speirs, his commanding officer tried to help him by telling him the truth that he will die, and the sooner he accepts that the better. I liked this quote because it shows how Blithe was so excited to go over seas and kill Germans but he didn’t realize the horrors of war and once he got there he wanted to go back. It also shows that training cannot prepare you for the real horrors of war.

    ReplyDelete
  53. "Anytime you conclude that life stinks and the human race mostly accounts to a pile of s**t, you've got the perfect breeding ground for fascism." - Lester Bangs

    There's a book that I read quite frequently called "Sells Like Teen Spirit: Music, Youth, Culture, and Social Crisis" by Ryan Moore. It's about how the punk music scene inspired youth and culture during the Eighties and Nineties. As I was reading it, I found this quote cited by Moore. I liked it because I thought it had a certain amount of truth to it. Nazi Germany formed partly because the people were demoralized about losing World War I, and Hitler encouraged the people by telling them that it wasn't their fault. After bad things happen, people want a hero to rely on, and sometimes they get one in the form of a dictator.

    ReplyDelete
  54. "You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step." - Martin Luther King Jr.

    I came across this quote when scrolling through the app instagram. This quote means to me that you have to be able to overcome taking the first step through a goal. You should look ahead on what you want to happen, because it most likely doesn't happen right away. You have to focus piece by piece on goals you have and efficiently work through them. It takes time to get the results you want. You have to be patient for it. Focus on whats happening now and not so much on what you want to happen in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  55. To Make Up for Step it Up:

    "As Fellers and his men started to advance, German officers finally ordered their men to fire. Above the Vierville draw, the 352nd opened up with at least three MG-42 machine guns, firing over a thousand rounds per minute, and several mortars. Two dozen snipers lurked in nearby trenches. The slaughter was fast and merciless. Fellers and the twenty-nine men in his boat died in a matter of minutes, riddled by machine-gun bullets from several directions."

    -"The Bedford Boys" Alex Kershaw

    This quote is from a book about the invasion of Normandy. Described in the quote, Captain Fellers, an officer and main character in the book, and his men are the first boat to reach the beaches and they are slaughtered. I chose this quote because it is very powerful and it demonstrates the tremendous struggle by which the Americans finally broke through the defenses at the beachhead in Normandy. It was such a desperate offensive and so many men were killed or injured.

    ReplyDelete
  56. To make up for Turn a Phrase #1

    "When you have a strongly held belief, don't you think it's important to express that belief accurately?" Michael Crichton State of Fear

    I found this quote while reading and thought it was interesting because I think that it is really important that you believe in something for the right reasons. If you believe something that is inaccurate then you can be mislead by information and that can lead you to the wrong conclusions. I think that a lot of information found online can be wrong and if people believe that information then they can be lead in the wrong direction. For example if you find online the right way to grow a plant it may not be correct and in the end your plant is dead.

    ReplyDelete
  57. To make up for turn a phrase #2

    “Sometimes I look around my living room, and the most real thing in the room is the television. It’s bright and vivid, and the rest of my life looks drab. So I turn the damn thing off. That does it every time. Get my life back.”

    I found this quote while reading and think that it especially pertains to my generation and the generations to come. I think that it means that you can't always be watching TV, playing on your laptop, or texting of your Iphone. My generation is surrounded by all these technologies and is influenced by them. I think that this quote is saying that you need to limit your time looking at a screen and get up and go experience the world, otherwise you won't get your life back.

    ReplyDelete
  58. To make up for turn a phrase 3-8

    We think we know what we are doing. We have always thought so. We never seem to acknowledge that we have been wrong in the past, and so might be wrong in the future. Instead, each generation writes off earlier errors as the result of bad thinking by less able minds--and then confidently embarks on fresh errors of its own. Michael Crichton, State of Fear

    I found this quote while reading and think that it means that the human race can be ignorant. As said in the quote countless different experiments have been made by scientists and failed, but scientists in the future continue to make the same mistakes. This quote is basically saying that the human race doesn't learn from their mistakes and we need to learn from them to succeed in the future

    ReplyDelete
  59. Make Up For Turn a Phrase 3-15:

    "Nobody ever lives their life all the way up except bull-fighters."

    -Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

    I picked this quote for a number of reasons. First, as with many of Hemingway's books, I really loved the novel. This quote appealed to me because I find it to be a good representation of how glorious Hemingway found bull fighters to be. He loved traveling to Pamplona to watch the running of the bulls and the bull fights there. I like this quote a lot because it just promotes a feeling of wonder and excitement. Bull fighters are truly interesting.

    ReplyDelete